How to get out of bed in the morning.

By Dr GaryCA Latest Activity April 18, 2011 at 12:36 pm Views 21,206 Replies 145 Likes 132

Dr GaryTherapist

I don’t know very many people who look forward to getting up in the morning. Who doesn’t like to sleep in whenever possible?

But if you are suffering from anxiety or depression, getting up in the morning has a whole different meaning. Not being able to get out of bed in the morning can literally mean not being able to getting of bed, due to a combination of emotional, cognitive and physical symptoms that can leave you feeling as if you are glued to your bed. Nobody understands what this feels like better than you do.

Still, for better or worse, the day doesn’t really get underway until you are out of bed. So if you are stuck there, chances are, you’re going to make a day of. You may not feel any worse, but you also may not be giving yourself the opportunity to feel any better.

I am not telling you to “fake it ‘til you make it.” You have probably heard that too many times already, often from the mouths of people in your life who could, and should, be more understanding but, for whatever reason, aren’t understanding at all. I know this isn't easy.

But I do want to suggest a few techniques that you might use to help yourself make that first big move in the morning. While I don’t expect you to find all of these ideas helpful, I am hoping that at least one or two of them might be useful.

So here goes:

Create an attractive incentive. Get a coffee pot with a timer, so that you can set it like an alarm clock at night. You’ve probably heard the expression, “wake up and smell the coffee.” Well, you can help yourself to do that. If you aren’t a coffee drinker, find something else to look forward to, even a favorite morning TV show, that might make the morning a little easier to face. And what about that nice hot shower? Toast with strawberry jam (my personal favorite)?

Remind yourself of a responsibility that you want to meet. If you have a family, then I suspect that having enough responsibility is the least of your worries. So I would encourage you to consider: is there a labor of love somewhere in the middle of all of that? Saying good morning to your kids and making them breakfast, helping them to feel safe and secure before they leave for school? Or, feeling that sense of accomplishment when you get in your car and leave for work? Greeting a co-worker that you enjoy being with? What I am suggesting is to focus on some aspect of the morning that you enjoy, rather than focusing on what’s difficult and not so fun.

Or, commit to a new responsibility. You might want to create a reason to get up, such as scheduling a call to a friend or family member, or a morning chore that needs to get done, or even some time on Depression Connect.

Enlist your support team. And speaking of that new responsibility, you might want to consider creating some accountability with your support team. Is there someone that you can make a deal with to call, or to call you, in the morning? Nothing like a few words of encouragement, or some tough love, to help you to start the day.

How about a pet? Animals offer unconditional love, and appreciate anything and everything you do for them. But they are on a timetable, especially in the morning, and they don’t take no, or later, for an answer.

Where is your alarm clock? You might want to move it across the room, so that if you want that reward of stopping the buzzing or the chirping, you have to actually get out of bed. And think of it this way: if it’s already across the room, you won’t be tempted to throw it!

Make a list… and then make another one. One of the advantages of making a list is to be able to decide what you want to get done and what doesn’t have to get done. In other words, you can use it make yourself feel even more overwhelmed – and giving yourself one more reason to stay in bed – or you can use it to help you to decide what your priorities are. Be realistic but also gentle with yourself – having a big old impossible to-do list is enough to keep anybody in bed.

Plan ahead. At the end of each day, you might want to try making a list of what you want to accomplish the next day. Decide what you most want to accomplish, what you think is reasonable, and what you don’t need to tackle. Simplify your life. It’s a way to turn the mud – that vague feeling that you are overwhelmed – into a few manageable tasks.

Take baby steps. The first item on your list is to get out of bed. Maybe on the first day, that’s the only item on your list. Go easy on yourself, one baby step at a time. Tomorrow, you can add another task or two that might follow getting out of bed. Everybody has their own process of getting through the day.

Talk to your mental health team. Are they aware that you are having trouble getting out of bed in the morning? Have you asked them for some help in creating a strategy for getting yourself vertical in the morning? Is it time to have a talk about your drug regimen? It can’t hurt to make sure that you have all of your bases covered.

Don’t beat up on yourself when the day doesn’t go as planned. Okay, so you weren’t so successful, at least not today. Don’t use this as an opportunity for self-criticism. Instead, take a look at your strategy. Are your incentives in place? Your supports? Are you trying to do too much? Take as step back, give it another try tomorrow.

Fake it ‘til you make it. I just had to sneak that in, only to remind you that sometimes getting up in the morning is an “intellectual decision,” something that you choose to do because you want or need to, for any of the reasons that I described. But if you wait to “feel” like getting up, you might just decide you don’t feel like it. Using a little tough love with yourself might help. And keep in mind that positive actions can create positive energy, so look at your getting up routine as an opportunity to build some forward momentum into your life.

And pat yourself on the back for each and every accomplishment. So, you not only motivated yourself to get up and moving but you got a chore or two completed, got your family off to work and school, made it through your own workday? It’s all good, the little bits and the big bits. Celebrate yourself!

Good morning, this is your wake up call. Have a great day!

And while you’re at it, please share any techniques that you use to get yourself moving in the morning!

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (145 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • manyvoicesinmyhead
    manyvoicesinmyhead January 21 at 2:03 am   

That was so informative and resourceful :)

• Constantly Melissa
    Constantly Melissa December 27 at 8:43 am   

Getting out of bed each day is easy. What i find me struggling w dr gary is isolation. Its the same as not getting out of bed cept i just dont get out of the house. I tend to isolate myself from the rest of the world when im depressed. Not everyone understands depression. They almost treat it as something i choose. And im sure everyone can relate. The list idea really helps me. W PTSD i battle memory loss. If its not written down i will forget. My husband rewards me for a good day and is understanding when i dont.

• kittenfetus
    kittenfetus December 24 at 10:32 am   

With all the new information coming out about the importance of sleep in 'cleaning' the brain and sorting memmories, etc, I'm wondering if it would be of more benefit to sleep in??

• Whats mine is yours
    Whats mine is yours December 27 at 9:18 am   

lol, how about sleeping early? Carpa Diem- seize the day!

• Toni M.
    Toni M. December 10 at 11:14 am   

Hi Dr. Gary. This may sound silly but I try to drink lots of water before bed that way I have to get up in the morning to use the bathroom. Even if I go right back to bed, I have the thought that I've already made it out of bed once and therefore can do it again. It's weird but can sometimes be effective.

• Whats mine is yours
    Whats mine is yours December 10 at 11:16 am   

I do it too sometimes ;)

• Whats mine is yours
    Whats mine is yours December 9 at 11:43 am   

I tried this out yesterday and it worked like a charm!!!!!! My buds have the internet go off at midnight so we don't stay up all night. Therefore I have to wait until morning to come back on the app. So I used this as an objective to get up. It worked great.
    Unfortunately this morning I did everything the same but I went on the app before I got out if bed…bad idea on my part. I chatted. Then went back to bed :(
    Looking forward to doing it right tomorrow!
    Thanx, Yours Truly.

• ladybugmamma
    ladybugmamma November 15 at 11:38 pm   

I liked your article. I have such issues with sleeping or laying in bed. I am a mother of three (one is an adult child - 18). I wake right away with my small kids and feed them and get them ready for the bus… No issue they are on the bus at 7:25 so that's when it happens… I drag my "carcass" back to the bed and spend nearly all my day there while they are at school. Once I know they will need me I launch into action. My two younger kids are very involved in activities it's 6 days a week of run, run, running! My therapist and I always discuss this. I want to much to be that person that CAN… And I will muster up any speck of life I have to give to my kids… But during the 6 hours they are gone during the day and I can help me… I just escape to my bed and the warmth it provides… Most days my very sweet and well loved kitties come and show me that they love me anyway…
    I have frequently determined that I will get up and do this or that but when it comes down to it I just don't. I am going to try the list and have my dear hubby help me with it. He is very supportive and knows to be gentle with his fragile bride (I am so blessed it just blows mind that I suffer with depression and sorrow)
    Becca

• ddnp35
    ddnp35 November 9 at 9:46 am   

Hi dr Gary
    Hope you are all well.
    Thanks for your applicable motivational ideas. I would love follow them but I don't want to wake up early in my days off. Sometimes I sleep 11 or 12 at night. How can I schedule my time? Regarding my office days I wake up on time but lethargic.i do physical fitness in the evenings. I am currently on lamotrigine and dueloxetine . Pl gimme some tips.
    Regards
    Dinesh

• Dr GaryCA November 9 at 10:53 pm   

Hi Dinesh,

Glad this was helpful! I am not a sleep expert but it has been my experience that it is helpful to have a relatively regular sleep schedule, so that your sleep patterns are consistent from day to day. Sleeping in really late on weekends, especially Sunday, can mean that it is harder to go to sleep on Sunday night, so you end up starting the week tired. I personally found that when i put myself on a more regular schedule, it was easier to get started in the morning. Maybe that's just me.

You might talk to your doctor about the lethargy in the morning. I have had clients tell me that their doctor modified their schedule in terms of when they take their meds, and that helped.

Nice to see you!

Gary

• Amzz0313
    Amzz0313 August 23 at 11:37 am   

Thank you for the great tips. I am currently lying in bed fighting to just get up and do something. I have been job searching for a long time now. I don't want just any job, it has to be something I will love. My husband wakes up and goes to work while I lay in bed all day depressed or I fall back asleep so I don't have to think about it.

I am also having a very difficult time going to bed. The second I decide to get in bed all my feelings of guilt, loneliness, fear, sadness, etc hit me. I cry myself to sleep and end up keeping both me and my husband up late which makes me feel even more guilty.

I don't know what to do..I haven't been this way for a long time and now my depression is worse than ever just when I thought things were getting better in my life.

Thanks for listening.

Amber

• Dr GaryCA November 9 at 10:55 pm   

Hi Amber,

Have you talked to a doctor about your problems in getting to sleep, and the fatigue during the day? You might want to think about that. Depression can certainly affect your sleep patterns, but like other depression symptoms, this is treatable.

Gary

• Amzz0313
    Amzz0313 November 9 at 10:57 pm   

Thank you, I have and I will be more in my next appointment.

• Dr GaryCA November 14 at 5:43 pm   

Great! Please let us know how it goes! Gary

• sadguy92
    sadguy92 August 20 at 12:14 pm   

What if nothing interests you ?

• Dr GaryCA November 9 at 10:59 pm   

Even something simple like a hot coffee or something you enjoy eating in the morning?

• Nath431
    Nath431 July 1 at 8:51 am   

Thank you for those tips Dr Gary, these are very helpful. Being winter in Australia right now makes it hard to get out of bed in the mornings for me, with an electric blanket on. I try to make whatever appointments that I have to make early, for example, I have to be up to get to my psychologist appointment @ 10:00am tomorrow, I try to get to a Monday morning walking group which is something I enjoy. I'm not always successful getting out of bed early for the couple of days work every week, but after a rough patch a couple of weeks ago, I have improved. I get anxious about work but just look for little goals to get me going like getting into the shower, then get into the car to commute to work, walking into the office, getting through to lunch & then before I know it, it's the end of the day & I feel happy about myself, not feeling useless, small steps throughout the day is the key for me anyway.

• Dr GaryCA November 9 at 10:58 pm   

Hey Nath,

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. Sounds like you have a good system in place to help get yourself motivated in the morning. One step at a time. I especially like the idea of setting small goals, finding the small pleasures in life. Thanks for sharing this!

Gary

• crazy5
    crazy5 June 2 at 1:13 am   

Tha k you I saved all of this and plan to read and reread it In best effort of remembering and applying its

• Dr GaryCA November 9 at 10:58 pm   

Thank you!

• neadi
    neadi April 19 at 4:45 pm   

This article is brilliant it basically described what I am going through right now, and gave me some awesome techniques to try make it through this rough patch (and till my meds are better balanced)

• Dr GaryCA November 9 at 10:59 pm   

Thanks a lot. Glad it was helpful!

• ravenspur
    ravenspur April 9, 2013 at 7:22 pm   

Great topic and tips, however I self-sabotage constantly.
    I've was laid off a couple of months ago. But there was a good side to it: I hated my job and want to switch careers. So being on unemployment, I was going to take this time to figure out how to start working in a field that I really enjoy and that I feel will make a difference.
    I have chronic depression and have been in therapy with meds for a good 16 yrs now. Since I lost the job, I have no health insurance, therefore I have no therapy. However I'm all set on my meds.
    Anyway, I wake up before the alarm, get out of bed when my bf does, I make us breakfast and off he goes to work. But then I go back to bed and spend the entire day in bed, reading or on the internet. I have a friend who texts me at 10am every day, to check that I have showered and dressed, but now I just lie to her and tell her I have. I don't eat anything after breakfast, I can't even make it to the kitchen. When I know the bf is coming home (not before 8pm usually), I get out of bed and get dressed, without showering sometimes. And lie again and tell him all the things I "did". I moved here a year ago and don't know many people. The weather really affects me and it's been overcast and rainy for a week. I feel so guilty all the time for wasting so much TIME and lying to people I care about. Unless I have to meet someone else during the day, I will not make it past the bed. What do I do? Thanks for your comments.

• Daisyboo
    Daisyboo January 13 at 2:19 am   

This is just the same as my day as soon as my husband goes to work I get back in bed and stay there all day either sleeping or reading , I don't get dressed or have wash somedays . When he gets home its late at night so he is non the wiser about my miserable day. I feel so low and depressed and like my life is slipping by whilst I sleep . Its terrible way to live and I hate myself for it . Thank you for your comments I don't feel so alone anymore

• amycole77
    amycole77 May 2 at 9:46 pm   

Omg you are describing me!! It's awful but glad to hear im not alone.

• Duvetday
    Duvetday April 8, 2013 at 12:51 pm   

How do I get out of bed? A cat that won't take no for an answer. By the time I've fed her my rats are awake and begging for attention, so I have a cuddle, then they and the cat are like where's our treats? So I make breakfast and a cup of tea, the rats get a bit of cereal, the cat gets the left over milk. Read a good book whilst drinking my tea and I'm up.
    My animals love me unconditionally and seeing them happy perks me up for the start of the day. Don't think I'd get up without them to be honest

• MDD/ECT
    MDD/ECT April 5, 2013 at 6:46 pm   

I can't stop oversleeping…sleep all night, feel exhausted until noon; sleep again in the afternoon. I am trying to sit outside for 10 minutes at a time to get fresh air, but the depression has just knocked me out.

• Dr GaryCA April 7, 2013 at 6:47 pm   

Hi MDD/ECT, sounds like are dealing with a lot right now. I hope you are in touch with your doctor. Are you getting support? Gary

• MDD/ECT
    MDD/ECT April 7, 2013 at 6:58 pm   

Support yes. Results no. I have treatment resistant depression; receive ECT twice a month, but have low energy and low quality of life and low hope at this point.

• Dr GaryCA April 7, 2013 at 7:45 pm   

I am so very sorry to hear this, my friend. I hope you will stay in touch with us. We are here for you. Gary

• meggieboo62
    meggieboo62 April 4, 2013 at 9:12 pm   

I get up for work and it's not easy but I sleep all weekend. It's embarrassing becAuse I feel lazy and unproductive but it's what I choose to do and it keeps me from spending money or boredom. I know I sleep so much because I'm depressed.

• nickywill12
    nickywill12 March 21 at 1:26 am   

I want to share my testimony and also thank prophet Adams for what he has done for me, Am so happy today and i have stopped thinking. After my husband Rick left me for another woman because I can't give him a baby and that he hates me, i cried because i really loved Rick with all my heart. Then i decided to come online and look for a spell caster to help me bring back Rick, Until God directed prophet Adams to me. When i met prophet Adams i was thinking his not real, But he told me to give him a chance that what will he gain if he adds more pain to my pain,That all he want his my happiness. So i decided to give him a chance, and he told me that Rick will be back to my arms within 48hours and I will be pregnant and have a baby,i said okay truly when prophet Adams casted this spell my lover Rick called me and said he wanted to tell me something i was shocked, He told me that i should forgive him, That he loves me with all his heart and promise never to leave me till the rest of his life. Prophet Adams also told me that ones Rick comes back to me he is going to buy me a gift. Rick Bought me a Brand New Car, And i also had access to his account to prove to me that he will never leave me and now am pregnant. You can contact prophet Adams for any kind of help and he will never disappoint you. His email - dradamsjohnsoncentre12@gmail. com or +2348188192948

• Dr GaryCA April 7, 2013 at 6:46 pm   

Hi meggie,

Thanks for checking in. Nice to see you. You are managing to get up during the week. That is a very good start. Maybe you can find something motivating for the weekend mornings, something you enjoy, and use that to motivate yourself. It's worth a try.

Gary

• IloveGoldens
    IloveGoldens March 13, 2013 at 5:41 am   

Rather stay in bed today

• Dr GaryCA April 7, 2013 at 6:44 pm   

We all have those days, but I hope you managed to get up and around. It helps to keep moving.

• Second Chance Believer
    Second Chance Believer January 27, 2013 at 11:35 am   

Hello - Might sound odd, but what helps me a lot is either having my next day's clothing - including underwear, socks, shoes - right near my bed. It is one less thing to be overwhelmed with. AND sometimes I will get up and put my clothing on right before the alarm clock because once I am dressed, I feel like I can pop up anytime and start my day. Taking a shower the night BEFORE bed helps with this as well, because when I wake up, I already feel clean! Hope that helps!

• Dr GaryCA April 7, 2013 at 6:43 pm   

Hey Second Chance,

Those are great ideas! The alarm goes off and you are ready to rock! Thanks for checking in.

Gary

• JidderBug
    JidderBug December 5, 2012 at 12:20 pm   

Those are great tips thanks:) The technique that I use its kind of strange but some days it works. I drink a lot of water before I go to bed, some days I wake up before my alarm clock giving me extra time in the morning to start my day. Other times I am awakened by my alarm and try and fall back to sleep again. I'm not sure if this is the best or healthiest way to get up, so I'm going to try the suggestions you offered, I like pancakes but there a breakfast food, so if I want them then I must get up at a breakfast hour. I'll also try and find a TV show that I would enjoy to watch in the morning, like Canada Am. Is there a timed hot chocolate or tea maker?? I like the idea of having the smell motivate me to get up. Thanks

• Dr GaryCA December 6, 2012 at 9:19 pm   

Hi JidderBug, I am glad to know that this was helpful for you. Thanks a lot for letting me know. Sounds like you have some good ideas in place to get you moving in the morning. I haven't hear of a timed hot chocolate maker but that is a good idea. Nice to be in touch with you!

• Rosie Martin
    Rosie Martin December 7, 2012 at 8:33 am   

thats so true Dr. Gary, comparing ourselves to others is what Depression feeds on, there will always be more seemingly successful people than us, happier, more beautiful, handsome, much of the outside show is an illusion as is advertising so following our own path and just being, being ourselves, being true to our ideals and beliefs and feeing ourselves from the illusion of perfection and the tyranny of comparison is what I would aim for. For my sanity sake.

• Dr GaryCA January 11, 2013 at 6:43 pm   

I agree with Antonio, that was very well said. Comparing ourselves to others is a trap, a no win situation. You're fright, just be yourself, be the best you that you can be. Thank you! Gary

• AntonioJ
    AntonioJ January 9, 2013 at 9:10 pm   

Well said :] , we shouldnt worry about our exterior so much because it can take us to dark places.

• Dr GaryCA January 11, 2013 at 6:44 pm   

Nice to see you here, Antonio!

• teenagerwhoslost
    teenagerwhoslost December 4, 2012 at 10:23 pm   

Hello I'm glad I found this app. I am very lost at this time of my life and feel like everything is spinning out of control and everyone I know is 12 million steps ahead of me and I fail to keep up. My sleep is not helpful either. I go to sleep by 1am-3am and have to wake up at 6 am. With high school just around the corner I don't know what to do.

• Dr GaryCA December 6, 2012 at 9:17 pm   

Hi! Nice to meet you! Everybody in the world is on their own path. if you compare yourself to other people, you will also find people who seem to be ahead, but also who seem to be behind you. What's important is to stay focused on doing the best you can, and taking the best care of yourself that you can. Have you had a talk with your parents about how you are feeling? You might also reach out to a school counselor and have a talk. Stay in touch with us!

• jtonica
    jtonica November 13, 2012 at 9:52 pm   

• Butterfly83
    Butterfly83 November 10, 2012 at 8:24 pm   

I too enjoyed this article. Fake till u make is is a motto my mom has encourged for years. I have also really struggled to find a reason to get out of bed. I found that starting my day with this app has really helped. For the first time in months I shared how I was feeling in a discussion yeasterday. I felt like a judge weight was lifted. Sometimes I feel so alone and its really nice to know there are others who understand how I feel. My boyfriend was so impressed by my behavior yesterday I felt like my old self again and I have this community to thank for it. Baby steps are key and things don't have to be so overwhelming. I'm looking forward to more articles like this. :)

• Dr GaryCA November 13, 2012 at 9:37 pm   

Hi Butterfly,

Thank you so much for sharing yourself here, and for your kind words. Everybody appreciates encouragement, including me.

I am HAPPY that you found your way to Depression Connect, and that it is helping you so much. This is just an incredible support community. And we are lucky to have you.

You have a great attitude. Yes, one step at a time, baby steps at that. But you are moving in the right direction.

Let's make sure we stay in touch!

Gary

• heyy11
    heyy11 October 6, 2012 at 10:42 am   

I loved this article, very interesting and useful. Thanks

• Dr GaryCA October 7, 2012 at 10:15 pm   

You are welcome. And thanks for checking in!

• andreacapozzi
    andreacapozzi October 5, 2012 at 9:08 pm   

I've had trouble wanting to get out of bed for 13years now, and I've come to understand that if you have depression, you just need to accept it, like a cancer patient must… It's an illness, that can get better if you do the research and put efforts into life long skills I learned by reading "undoing depression". It's written by a man named Richard who is a depression expert!!! He had it, he knows how to fix it. It's a battle… But it's a step in the right direction , and I gain hope every day I listen to another chapter. I plan on listening to the whole book until I know it as we'll as I know how to feel like crap!!!!!!!

• Dr GaryCA October 7, 2012 at 10:14 pm   

Hi Andrea,

Nice to hear from you. Thanks a lot for checking in.

Yes, having trouble getting out of bed in the morning does seem to go with the teritory for many people who are facing depression. That sounds like a great book. I will check it out.

Great to be in touch with you.

Gary

• absentimental
    absentimental July 11, 2012 at 12:26 am   

I make myself a healthy breakfast. Do something for yourself first Dedicate that day to you or what "you" want to do!

• Dr GaryCA October 7, 2012 at 10:12 pm   

That is a very good way to get the day started!

• melancholyy
    melancholyy June 28, 2012 at 4:51 pm   

I like this.

• Dr GaryCA October 7, 2012 at 10:11 pm   

Thank you!

• StokesLaura
    StokesLaura June 28, 2012 at 6:16 am   

These are awesome pointers, Dr. Gary :-) Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge with us, you rock!!

• Dr GaryCA October 7, 2012 at 10:11 pm   

Thank you! Sorry I didn't see this before. I hope that you are doing well!

• AHelpingHand
    AHelpingHand May 11, 2012 at 1:46 pm   

I like this post very much.
    Honestly - if any of you want to talk things through, I will do my best to help in any way I can. I've been living with Depression a long time - and I use my experiences to help others.
    Things can get better, and I'm here to help you see that.
    Helen xxx

• andreacapozzi
    andreacapozzi October 7, 2012 at 10:40 pm   

Hi, would you friend me and help me through this labyrinth of misery, confusion, and guilt? Why aren't there more organizations or charities fighting this illness?? I have a dream to make black rubber bracelets that say, " I am living a story. I will not give up."

• Cecebird19
    Cecebird19 May 6 at 5:52 am   

I really like that. Or "I am a living story. I will not give up."

I, too, wish there were more organizations that work to bring awareness to the real side of depression. For those of us living with it and for our loved ones who have to live with us living with it.

• Dr GaryCA October 7, 2012 at 10:10 pm   

HI,
    How are you doing wit this? Please stay in touch.
    Gary

• yvonn11
    yvonn11 April 29, 2012 at 4:16 pm   

Thank you. I interact I haven't a choice I'm here I like people. And ppl seem either to get me and love me or be intimidated because they don't know me. I can only be myself. I'm a great person I'm a good person.

• Dr GaryCA May 1, 2012 at 8:58 pm   

Nice to have you here with us. Have a great week!

• DeadWoffiey
    DeadWoffiey April 27, 2012 at 3:03 am   

I always have trouble getting out of bed in the morning, and even doing my school work for that matter not that it's hard but as if I can't. I know it's never good to dwell on things for too long, but how long dose it usually take to get rid of depression, I've had it for a while now and I'm getting really paranoid that I won't really be getting better.

• Dr GaryCA April 29, 2012 at 3:29 pm   

Hi,

Depression is treatable. If you have ongoing depression, then it is really important to get help. This would be something to talk to your parents about, or a counselor at school. Don't go through this alone.

Gary

• DeadWoffiey
    DeadWoffiey April 29, 2012 at 5:35 pm   

That's the thing, they know and I my stopped taking me cause of money reasons and he won't let me take medicine, in a few months will be my 10 year fighting and I havnt gotten any better. I've been emitted in a hospital and left because I don't like really talking about myself but worried about others TOO much. So.. I'm in a bind.

• DeadWoffiey
    DeadWoffiey April 29, 2012 at 5:42 pm   

My dad stopped taking me*

• Dr GaryCA May 1, 2012 at 8:58 pm   

I am sorry to hear this. I hope that you will take care of yourself as much as you can. Stay in touch with us.

• DeadWoffiey
    DeadWoffiey May 2, 2012 at 11:29 pm   

Thanks, but i cant be on here anymore, My father found out and said im banned from talking sites… but he really dosnt know how much it help me, knowing people are there and trying to help others made it feel like i was making a diffrence in the world. Anyways it was nice meeting you, and ive been recominding this site to some of my friend who are going through some trouble, Bye!

• yvonn11
    yvonn11 April 27, 2012 at 2:03 am   

I just can't seem to fit it anywhere. I try to be accepted. At fourty something you'd think it be easier not more difficult. I've lost jobs alot of times not. Because of my work performance but people just didn't accept me. It still hurts when I try so hard.

• Dr GaryCA April 29, 2012 at 3:27 pm   

Hi yvonn11

I am glad that you checked in here. I am so sorry that you are feeling so lonely, and that you feel that you aren't acceptable in some way. That is very sad. And feeling like you aren't acceptable is painful at any age.

Have you tried any kind of a support group or group therapy to help you to feel more comfortable with people? That could help. Or talking with a therapist to get some support and to work on your self-confidence. That could help a lot.

Do you have friends or family that you spend time with? I hope that you are getting out and being with people.

Stay in touch with us! You came to the right place.

Take care,

Gary

• J Hunter
    J Hunter April 25, 2012 at 7:27 am   

Hey all I feel kinda stupid coming on here but my life just sucks I've got to get help from somewhere, a few months back I fell out with a circle of friends really badly and also found out my gf was cheating on me and playing nasty mind games really mean things that hurt you inside, not to mention she was my first true love who I really cared for and thought I got the same thoughts back at me turned out not and ever since then the depressions just sprung I always knew I had it mildly but now it's getting worse I can't seem to get out of this hole I'm in it feels like I am worthless will never get anywhere in this crappy life so why carry it on I'm not saying I would ever take my life but some days you do wonder what if??? I'm 19 years old not to mention my confidence is at an all time low! I hope some of you can totally relate to what I am saying because at the minute I'm in my own wold and I feel alien to all around me.

• brittanylee2748
    brittanylee2748 April 26, 2012 at 8:25 pm   

I'm sorry, I was in a similar situation, if you need someone to talk to, I'm here

• J Hunter
    J Hunter April 26, 2012 at 8:34 pm   

Thanks means alot sometimes you can tell more to a stranger then your can someone close to you !

• Continued on Next Page Arrow-right
Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar