"Patient" education: What's your technique?

By Dr GaryCA Latest Activity April 24, 2011 at 9:32 pm Views 7,496 Replies 55 Likes 30

Dr GaryTherapist

Ever find yourself having to educate your family and friends about depression and what you need, and don’t need, from them? Maybe a better question is, how often do you have to educate them? Every day?

While you have taken the time to get educated on your condition and how to take good care of yourself, friends and family may not have put in the same effort, or may not know how. As a result, you may find yourself sometimes getting frustrated over their lack of understanding, the insensitive comments they make, or the times when you need a helping hand that they don’t offer, or the one that they do offer, but that you don’t need.

And then there is plain old denial. But even if you have loved ones who just want to pretend that if you don’t think about your condition it will go away, some education, over time, may help them to face up to what you’re facing, and be a better support.

So what it comes down to is that, on top of everything else you do to maintain your health, being an educator is part of the deal. And the best way to do that job, as you may already have experienced, is with a whole lot of patience. In other words, “patient” education.

Here are few ideas to help you in your efforts:

Be an example. You can show who your family members and friends that you are dealing with your depression by doing the best you can to live the best life possible. Being compliant with your treatment, reaching out for additional help from your treatment team as questions or crises arise, taking the best care of yourself that you can. This may help to reassure them that, while your condition is challenging, it is also manageable. Actions speak louder than words, as they say.

Be your authentic self. This means being the loving, caring person that you are, being there for them. But also letting them know when you are not at your best. Letting them know that you are okay but that you may need a little extra support from them, as well as some understanding. If you are having a bad day, don’t pressure yourself to pretend otherwise.

Answer questions. Encourage your loved ones to ask you questions. And when they do, answer these questions at their level. In other words, give them information that you think they can understand, that won't be alarming, but that will also provide enough information that they will have a sense of what you are facing. You might want to offer answers to the questions that you suspect your loved ones have but are afraid to ask, such as whether depression is hereditary, or whether they are at risk for saying something that might trigger symptoms of depression. If you run into any questions you can’t answer, you might want to check in with your physician, or offer to help your friend or family member do some research.

Provide reassurance. Your loved ones may be feeling helpless, wanting to help you and worrying about what your condition may mean for them in the future. Remind them that you are doing everything you can to take care of yourself, and that you intend to do everything you can to take care of them, that you are all a team. Again, letting them know how they can help you to help yourself can make a difference in how they experience your condition.

Look for teachable moments. When an issue arises, address it in the moment rather than saving it up as material for your next lecture. If a loved one says or does something that shows lack of understanding, or offers to do something that you don’t need them to do, use that moment to gently let them know how you were affected, and what they could do instead.

Be compassionate. I am a big believer in compassion, being compassionate toward ourselves and directing that compassion outward toward others. I think that if you live a compassionate life, you have a firm foundation for weathering the day to day challenges that come your way, and that includes people in your life who just don’t seem to know any better.

Be optimistic, but don’t expect miracles. Expecting people to think or feel or behave the way we wish they would is often a losing proposition. People come around in their own way and in their own time, or, sadly, sometimes not at all.

And so, at the risk of repeating myself: Take care of yourself. Gather the people around you who can be supportive, who are willing to understand what’s going on with you, who are willing to be taught and to learn. There are a lot of them out there, including right here on Depression Connect.

How is your “patient” education going? Any ideas to share? Any way we can offer you support?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (55 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Verona30
    Verona30 January 29, 2014 at 5:58 pm   

My father just recently watched a documentary about people with bipolar disorder. He finally told me in 30 years now he understands what I go through. It was hart warming that he even took the time. I have been told when I got upset oh your just being bipolar right now. Wow no I am upset you don't want to see me when I am unbalanced lol. I am aware when I am having a hard time and I do have to take my times some times but don't think you know my emotion. I have also gotten my blood sugar some what normal and it has made a world of difference. So I am still learning but I am not crazy I am not evil and I am not like everyone who has my condition. That's what upsets me more then when I can't control my lvls. Live Love and Breath lol.

• Dr GaryCA January 29, 2014 at 9:56 pm   

Hi Verona,

It's nice to see you!

What a great post. An excellent example of the value of "showing" what it's like to be mentally ill. The right message at the right time. I am hoping that this makes a big positive difference in your relationship going forward.

Glad to hear you are controlling your blood sugar better. That can certainly have an effect on your emotions.

So good to be in touch with you!

Gary

• blu3butt3rfly
    blu3butt3rfly November 16, 2013 at 1:53 am   

Good information. Recently I realized that just like I take time to learn so do others. It isnt easy to be understanding because on one side I love my family and I want to be polite then on the other side I'm hurting and their lack of support leaves me feeling worse . So I often pretend I'm ok and put on a fake smile. When I have an appointment I let everyone know and I let them know how it went.

• Dr GaryCA January 29, 2014 at 9:59 pm   

Hi blu,

Thanks so much for sharing this with us! I am sorry you aren't getting the support you need from your family. As you said, it takes time. It's a process. But over time family members often learn, and start to really get what you are dealing with. Time and patience.

But I do hope you have people in your life who can be supportive. I am glad you are here!

Gary

• scaredforlife
    scaredforlife October 3, 2013 at 3:06 pm   

Yes I had to educate myself and my husband. (That I almost lost) it was a horrific time and still is. I went for years not knowing what depression ment. Well drs told me but never fully understood it. My family doesn't understand it and doesn't want to. So it feels like I'm alone. I don't know if my friends understand than again I don't talk about it with them.

• Dr GaryCA January 29, 2014 at 10:01 pm   

Hi scaredforlife,

Nice to see you!

I am sorry you don't have supportive people in your life. Family members can come around over time. I hope yours does. And I am wondering if you had thought about talking more about what's going with you with some of your friends, the ones you trust the most. Just an idea.

Stay in touch with us. You are not alone.

Gary

• uzzii
    uzzii September 6, 2013 at 10:53 pm   

dr Gray it be good if u could help n give me solution to my problems what I discussed to u ?

• Dr GaryCA January 29, 2014 at 9:52 pm   

Sorry I didn't see this earlier!

• uzzii
    uzzii September 6, 2013 at 11:00 pm   

Gary *

• uzzii
    uzzii September 6, 2013 at 10:46 pm   

I've bin bad I get very bad headaches in head n eyes like I'm getting the bad feeling of that in my head repeating over n over agen ..how should I deal with n what could it be ??

• Dr GaryCA January 29, 2014 at 9:53 pm   

Hi, really sorry to hear about the headache pain, my friend. I am sorry to say I am not a physician so I don't have any helpful information to give you. But I would encourage you to talk to a doctor about this if you haven't already.

• uzzii
    uzzii September 6, 2013 at 10:42 pm   

i feel bad what should i do it's like I've got the same headache pain repeating in my head keep on like I get that bad feeling could u help ?

• dhansfhncg
    dhansfhncg May 13, 2013 at 10:34 pm   

I have depressed , what is solution

• dhansfhncg
    dhansfhncg May 13, 2013 at 10:32 pm   

Hi

• kittenfetus
    kittenfetus April 25, 2013 at 8:28 pm   

Educating my family, and doctors, didn't work until I ended up in the hospital for a week. A lot of people really don't want to believe a person they know can have depression -especially if that person is high functioning, or even basically functioning- even if every warning sign of a meltdown or suicide attempt is there.
    IT can be terrifying to think that a family member, spouse, or child could be 'mentally ill'; and all the horror show BS that is what for most people is an 'education' on the mentally ill. A lot of people think 'its all in your head' or not real, or a moral failing. There's a ton of misleading and confusing 'information' out there— and I haven't found anything good for explaining it to others besides Solomon's _Noonday Demon_ which is a rather hefty tome. Sometimes people need time, and to see just how bad things can get before it sinks in that it's real, that it can affect all aspects of a person's life -physical, mental, emotional, social…

• goyis
    goyis January 20, 2013 at 9:51 pm   

Ana maria: please watch the movie "you can heal your life" by louise hay … And tell me your impression about that… You are so important… Thats one of the reasons to be alive… Don't let anybody take away the peace from you

• meandmybike
    meandmybike January 19, 2013 at 12:14 pm   

My friend has depression and has slowly withdrawn from me over the last 3 months. Hes done it before but then we got close again. I miss him so much. I tried to contact him 2 nights ago but he was nasty and instead of understanding I got upset and was nasty back. I've tried to get in touch since but he won't reply. I wish I could sort things out with him.

• Dr GaryCA January 20, 2013 at 9:58 pm   

Hi meandmybike, sometimes the best thing to do is to back off and give the other person some space. Maybe approach him after he has had some time to cool down. If you have been through this before with him, then maybe you can patch things up the say way you did it last time. I hope so!

• EboTheSelfHarmer
    EboTheSelfHarmer February 5, 2013 at 12:31 pm   

How can I stop self harming&handle my depression&anxiety

• lainy p
    lainy p November 28, 2012 at 9:03 am   

My problem is that my husband thinks that he knows everything about my illness and he knows the right and wrongs of everything. I feel like im under his spell.
    My family only recognise my illness when im in hospital when im at home they think that somehow that must mean that i am better i have just given up and keep it all to myself.

• Dr GaryCA January 20, 2013 at 9:54 pm   

Hi lainy, I hope you have some supportive people in your life. You have a lot of friends here, so I hope you will stay in touch. Gary

• lunai
    lunai November 28, 2012 at 1:11 am   

Dr Gary. my sister and brother. in law found out the hard way. I was worned. by my sister if I gave them any problem. that she would kick me out. so its a consonant. battle. for me. I think about suicide. every. day.

• Dr GaryCA January 20, 2013 at 9:52 pm   

So sorry you are not getting any support from home. How are you doing?

• vampireza
    vampireza November 1, 2012 at 5:33 am   

Yes
    And they don't do it even I have asked

• reneepuff
    reneepuff August 18, 2012 at 10:37 pm   

My husband refuses to acknowledge my depression. He tells me I just need to get over it or pray about it, or that I'm just making it up. If I try to tell him about anything with my depression, he tells me that he has it worse than I do and isn't depressed. Blah blah blah. I gave up years ago sharing my journey with him.

• Dr GaryCA January 20, 2013 at 9:51 pm   

Hey reneepuff, so sorry I missed this. Please give us a check in. I would like to know how you are doing! Gary

• tchme2smile
    tchme2smile July 4, 2012 at 9:05 pm   

Dr. Gary,
    I would someday like to be able to talk openly and honestly with my mother about my depression. She is pretty old school- thinks depression is a mood and prides herself on not "needing" counseling when she was getting divorced (I disagree, but that's water under the bridge now).

My mother is so good at denial and avoidance that she has never asked me about my suicide attempt 5 years ago. She knows I was in the hospital and what it was for but has never asked me why or how.

Do you have advice for educating her?

Thanks.

PS- please keep writing here. Your posts are so well-written and they help a lot.

• Dr GaryCA July 6, 2012 at 11:09 am   

Hi tchme2smile,

So nice to hear from you.

Wow, I so often hear stories similar to yours. It is always heartbreaking to hear about family members who can't or won't understand what their family members are dealing with when they are depressed. Sounds like your mom means well, but she has that "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" mentality that so often results in the walking wounded, people who need help but are in denial, and just getting by when they could be doing so much better.

So it could be that your mom just can't look at what's been going on with you. Parents sometimes go into denial because the feel a sense of responsibility, and don't want to or can't consider that possibility. They are in fear of their own helplessness.

Clients in your situation have sometimes found that, at least in the short term, it is most helpful to them to accept that their parents are who they are, that they are limited in terms of what they can look at and talk about. That doesn't meant that they can't talk about themselves. Relating your day to day experiences with your mom, letting her know how you are doing, what you struggle with, how you cope… this might help to make her more comfortable with your life and your experience of depression. Over time, she may be able to listen more, and talk. I always encourage clients to be patient, to not have expectations, and to take care of themselves, and to make sure that they are getting support from people who can be supportive. Don't go through this alone.

Thanks for sharing your experience. And thanks for your kind words!

I hope you are having a good day!

Gary

• Mary Jane 25
    Mary Jane 25 June 23, 2012 at 10:12 pm   

This is perfect timing for this discussion. Earlier today i was with some friends at a graduation party. They were going back to the one friends house to drink afterward. While at the original party i was having panic attacks and felt like a fifth wheel on top of that. I politely declined the after party. Lately when i drink i get really depressed afterward so i was trying to avoid that situation. My one friend who ive been confiding in about certain portions of my issues got upset with me and was trying to pressure me into going. He told me i just need to go out when people invite me. How i wish it were that easy. Its so frustrating when people say "just do it". Like, "just relax and chill out" or "just go out with us". Its very insensitive for me. Dont u think ive already tried that before?

• Dr GaryCA June 24, 2012 at 4:39 pm   

Hey Mary Jane,

Thanks for getting in touch and sharing what happened to you. I can understand your disappointment and frustration. It's hard when people who should get you don't seem to and, instead, imply that you can simply swallow your feelings and jump back into the action. I think this comes from their own sense of helplessness in terms of not knowing what to do to help you, as well as denial. None of which helps you.

But you are doing the right thing in taking care of yourself. As they say, just say no. You don't have to justify your decision. Over time, your friends may begin to realize that sometimes you aren't feeling it, and you need to take a time out. If they don't get it, at least you tried. But you still have a right to say no and to take care of yourself.

I am really glad to be in touch with you. I hope that we can be friends.

Gary

• Mary Jane 25
    Mary Jane 25 June 24, 2012 at 7:21 pm   

Gary,
    Thank you so much for replying. I guess you're right, I don't have to justify my decision, but they make it seem like I do because they will just keep asking me to go, or will stop inviting me places altogether. And it makes me feel very "unfixable" and abnormal when a close friend does this to me, when I thought he kind of understood what I'm going through. And thank you for the friend invite, I'm not sure how to do that yet.

• and?
    and? June 6, 2012 at 9:13 am   

After hubby asking me far to many times if I'd remembered my meds, or suggesting I go take another pill, I dragged him into my dr and she explained to him exactly what was going on and how he was NOT helping with his suggestions. He's improved but if I disagree with him or get angry he will still blame the depression. I told him that me having depression has nothing to do with his idiocy. :-/

• Dr GaryCA June 7, 2012 at 4:07 pm   

HI!

Thanks for checking in. I think that what you did was very smart. Bring your husband in and let your doctor explain things. Talking to a respected and objective person can help a lot, as your example shows. I am glad you did this.

I am wondering if it might help to bring in for another visit with your doctor, or if it might help to talk to a couples counselor. Sounds you have some communications issues that could use some work.

Nice to hear from you. Stay in touch!

Gary

• and?
    and? June 7, 2012 at 5:17 pm   

No money or insurance right now. My main complaint is I'm not allowed to get upset without it automatically being blamed on the depression. We have some problems that ANY woman would be seriously upset over. Mental illness or not. But it all gets on a back burner until we can get insurance again.

• Dr GaryCA June 8, 2012 at 1:13 pm   

I got it. I am very sorry to hear this. So many people cannot get help when they need it. I hope that your insurance status changes soon. Have you looked into support groups? You might check on www.nami.org for information on support groups in your area. I hope you will stay in touch with us!

• mummzie86
    mummzie86 February 5, 2012 at 4:46 pm   

How can I expect the people around me to understand my depression when I don't get it myself. They keep asking what can they do to help me but I don't know as I don't know how to help myself I don't like feeling low an fed up but I'm not really sure why I do. My depression was first picked up on after I had my 2nd baby so it was put down to baby blues but then more recently my health visitor has said its to do with financial worrys but I don't know. I am a worrier I worry about everything but I use to be happy now everything and one around me annoys me or makes me angry and I don't know the reason and I'm fed up with it now I want the old me back. : (

• hay12345
    hay12345 January 20, 2013 at 11:16 am   

So glad I read this makes me feel less alone my situation is very similar. Can I ask do u worry more when you can't control things? Do you feel like u have to have to get everything done and done right? It may just be me my councillor thinks I give my self to hard a time and try to be a perfectionist. But I can't help it and have no idea how to swap my thing to does it really matter if I dont do certain things. This may just be me but just to let u know I dont know what I need or how to help myself

• stay-strong
    stay-strong January 31, 2012 at 12:25 am   

I meant to say "family" in third sentence… I hate autocorrect in iPod. :(

• stay-strong
    stay-strong January 31, 2012 at 12:24 am   

I was born in a Korean family. When I was 12, I moved to Canada. It's hard to educate my party's about depression, because they were grown up in different environment as me. I was really frustrated when I tried to explain what depression, anxiety, and hallucinations are. My parents only rebuked me and said I was weak. What I am trying to do now is to combine some factors of my culture into explanation. I used my language to let them understand. I am fluent in Korean and English. I show them articles in Korean, so they can understand better. It's really hard. Also, I am a teenager (15 years old), so my parents do not really trust my opinion and information. I guess I have to try more and more. I have a brother who is 4 years younger than me, so I am wondering if I can educate him in fun ways, and we can learn more things. My brother and I can speak a little bit of French. So I am wondering if we can learn French and learn more about depression at the same time.

• JackieTropics
    JackieTropics January 7, 2012 at 1:50 am   

I have tried all my life to be myself and outward, but it always fires back to me getting stabbes in the back…any advice on that?

• NotFromThisWorl
    NotFromThisWorl December 22, 2011 at 4:44 am   

There is still a lot of stigma out there in relation to what causes depression. Where I grew up the widely believed are that depression is something people make up when they are sad and don't want to deal with. I think it's hard to accept that there might be a chemical imbalance in the brain, that causes depression. I don't inform people or family of my diagnosis since I'm ashamed of it.

• kleigh
    kleigh July 26, 2011 at 1:12 pm   

How do you deal with loved ones who might have given up on you? I had a supportive bf who now is moving away to law school. But a lot of the times he said I would just bring him down. I can understand this because before I was depressed, I had a friend that was diagnosed and I stopped enjoying hanging out with her because I always felt like she brought me down. He would be supportive in the way he thought I needed but I always felt alone in this. Later u would realize what he was trying to do. Now I just feel like I wore him out. I don't want to bring him down any more, especially since he will be in law school and will need to focus on his own stuff. I think he's giving up on me. I have one other friend that I talk to about my depression but I don't want to flood her with my negativity. I know social support is a major role for well being but I don't want to be selfish and bring my friends down because of my depression. my boyfriend and I decided not to stay together when he leaves, but now I feel like he doesn't have the patience to even stay friends with me (like we both said we wanted to). I feel like I can't ask friends or him for the extra support, because I already strain relationships with my negativity. Any suggestions would be greatly greatly appreciated??
    (just FYI: I started Prozac about a month ago and have just started seeing a therapist, which I have mixed feelings if he actually helps)

• Dr GaryCA July 27, 2011 at 10:05 pm   

Hi kleigh,

I really appreciated your honesty in your post. This was very insightful, and you ask a good question.

Here are a couple of things to consider:

First, I hope that you are not beating up on yourself. Depression really takes away your ability to be optimistic and upbeat, to say the least. It leaves you in a very dark place, wanting to actively participate in life but not being able to. This can be draining to other people, but is part of the cycle of depression. What you went through with your boyfriend is what happens with depression, not something that you intentionally created.

Secondly, you did a very brave thing by reaching out and getting help. Over time, with work and patience, you should see progress in overcoming your depression, a change in your mood and your attitude. This takes time, but depression is treatable. So congratulations!

Your boyfriend may need some time on his own before he can approach having a relationship with you again, whatever that is going to be. You may want to let him know that you are getting help. No need to push for a lot of communication, just let him know what's going on with you and that you are taking action to get better. Let him know that you hope he is doing well. He may respond or he may not, at least not for awhile.

Remind yourself that you are taking care of yourself and that you are doing the best you can to deal with your condition. And remember that we can't control how other people choose to think or behave.

As for your other friends, don't assume that you are just a drain on them. You have been struggling with a lot. Let them know that you appreciate the support that they have given you. If they are interested, keep them updated on how you are doing.

You may also want to consider joining a support group with other people who are experiencing depression.

Again, I hope that you will work closely with your treatment team, let them know what is working and what doesn't seem to be working, so that they can help you as much as possible. And again, be patient with them and also with yourself. This is process.

I am really glad to hear that you are getting help, and I am wishing you the best. Please keep in touch with us!

Gary

• Bunda1
    Bunda1 July 28, 2011 at 6:55 pm   

Hi Kleigh,
    I understand how hard it is to keep maintaining a good relationship when you are battling depression. Hopefully your medical and psychological treatment will be a tremendous help. I agree with what dr Gary said below. That is a good advice.

I may add something that I did/do when trying to maintain relationship with your loved one. Some of the things I do is keep doing stuff that you and your loved ones like to do. Although it may be hard at times, I forced my self to do it. I keep seeing my friends. It's called fake it till you make it. It is a sad truth about being depressed is that people may feel drained if all we do is moping around and being negative all the time. I don't mope around or being negative so much around my friends and I don't tell them that I am battling depression. When I lost so much weight and people notice it, I'd just say I am under a lot of stress. To my close friends I don't tell them I am battling depreassion but instead, tell them stuff that are affecting my depression like problem with my teenage daughter or complaining about my husband, normal complaint that everyone does. Then they'd give me a lot of supports and give ideas about how to handle those problems. That has helped me tremendously on keeping my friends around and my relationship with my husband going strong. On days that I can't 'fake it' I'd tell my friends I have stomach flu or migraines so they don't ask why i can't hang out with them and they'd give you more support such as offering help or bringing you meals, or in my case, help me take son to school and pick him up later.

I know these are not easy to do, but for me it's how I see it what I need to do to keep maintaining good relationship while battling my depression. Now that my meds are working and I am back to my old, happy, enthusiastic person that I am, I sometimes can't believe that I have succesfully went through bad depression episodes and keep all my friends and husband.

Just remember that on days you can't do anything to not feel guilty and allow yourself to be depressed. That's what I do. Hope you'll feel better soon!

• Bunda1
    Bunda1 June 25, 2011 at 3:28 pm   

The most challenging with depression is that when you're in the midst of it, you have no energy even for being patient. I have tried to educate my husband for 12 years now and he still would say things that is not compassionate. Eventhough he'd say sorry later. I bet there is a higher rate of divorce with people who suffer from depression because it is a hard illness to understand and the stigma that it carries. Even to reach out to people it's scarry, not knowing what their reactions would be. I have a strained relationship with my longtime friend who I consider a sister (we've known each other for more than 20 years) because I opened up to her that i suffer from depression and taking anti depressant. So it's very hard to actually follow your suggestion. My own experience is to stick with your psych dr and your therapist who obviously won't look down or judge you for having a depression.

• Dr GaryCA July 27, 2011 at 9:34 pm   

Hi Bunda,

So sorry I didn't notice your post sooner. It seems like a lot of patience is needed from both sides, and a lot of understanding, and you're right, people who are experiencing depression don't have a lot of patience and their fiends and family members often don't understand what that feeling is like and so they don't respond in a helpful way. It's a cycle in that way. And I also agree that it isn't easy to educate other people. Some are receptive and others just aren't going to be. That's just reality. It's important to find support where you can, beginning with your treatment team.

Thanks for checking in,

Gary

• That Drummer girl
    That Drummer girl May 11, 2011 at 5:33 pm   

Would I be wasting my dr's time if I booked an appointment about being assessed for depression?

• Dr GaryCA May 11, 2011 at 8:23 pm   

If you are feeling depressed, then that would be a very important — and recommended — step to take. Absolutely. Keep us posted!

• ICanSing
    ICanSing May 9, 2011 at 9:23 pm   

A lot of good advice that I needed right now. My husband forgets that I suffer from depression and will not be supportive when I have a setback such as the anniversary of my Mom's death or mother's day.

• Dr GaryCA May 10, 2011 at 3:43 pm   

I am sorry to hear that you aren't getting the support that you need from someone so important in your life. Sometimes loved ones just can't comprehend what depression does, and just hope that at some point it will go away, or they just don't know what to do or say. Have you tried any of the ideas that I suggested? Your husband may just need some help from you. And it may take some time.

I hope you have other supportive people in your life that you can reach out to.

Stay in touch with your friends on Depression Connect, including me. Let us walk this journey together with you.

• Anna Maria 16
    Anna Maria 16 April 25, 2011 at 5:03 pm   

I'm contemplating suicide and don't know what to do I'm a 16 year old girl with no point in life.

• ICanSing
    ICanSing May 9, 2011 at 9:27 pm   

I've been there and I promise you do have something and a lot of someone's to live for. Sixteen is a hard age; things will get better. You can find happiness and purpose in your life! I did. Hang in there.

• Sad
    Sad May 10, 2011 at 2:44 am   

I'm 14 and don't have the guts to get help
    Everything seems like a dream, full of pain
    HELP

• messofgorgeouss
    messofgorgeouss September 7, 2013 at 4:19 am   

I knew I needed help when I was 12 and couldn't work up the nerve to ask for help until I was 17. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do. But it's worth it. I'm always here for you if you need to talk.

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar