Need tips/advice on not eating at night

By Ilithiya Latest Activity May 8, 2013 at 9:13 am Views 3,884 Replies 5 Likes 2

Ilithiya

I had a friend who was over 300 lbs & brought himself down to 275 by just not eating 2 hours before he goes to bed. I know I would be happier if I was thinner (no I don't have an eating disorder I really am overweight & need to lose around 50 lbs). I noticed that I actually eat a lot at night. I have a bad habit of craving goldfish or chocolate milk which is bad. I will overeat on the goldfish bc I like to watch an episode of my favorite shows before I go to bed & realize that I have a huge problem with trying to keep food out of my hands while watching tv. It's typically a bag of goldfish or popcorn but lately I've been trying to eat better even if is @ night & I've switched to apples w/cinnamon on the slices. What I used to do was drink a glass of milk before I went to bed & most of the time that eliminated my cravings but isn't this still not okay since I'm ingesting some type of calorie before bed? They say drink water which I've tried but it doesn't help my cravings.

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (5 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • wrightmrsld
    wrightmrsld February 9, 2017 at 1:34 am   

I am in this boat with you, also. Sometimes I get up 2 hours or so after going to bed and sleeping. I end up in the kitchen wanting mostly carbs. Have had bariatric surgery, so I know better. Lost nearly 100 lbs, but have been at a stand still for a couple years now. I have all the best intentions in the world. But I rarely act on then. I also am T2D, have DDD, had stroke and heart attack. Wheelchair bound mostly. And I don't even really know what I expect or even what I want. Just wanted to say that you're not alone. If that helps any.

• bgirl94
    bgirl94 December 6, 2015 at 11:26 pm   

I have this same problem, kind of. I have no appetite ALL day, until about an hour before I go to bed. I get a sweet/salty/crunchy craving really badly. I like to buy rice cakes (there are several delicious flavors) and eat one or two of those with a cup of chamomile tea and honey. A cup of yogurt with some granola and frozen or fresh berries is another favorite of mine.

• honeycomb_boi
    honeycomb_boi May 8, 2013 at 5:33 pm   

It's actually a myth that not eating before bed makes a difference. Well, it's not a myth exactly- you will lose weight if you don't eat before bed, but it's largely because you're cutting out the snacking itself and had to less do with it being before bed. I suggest healthier snacks. I like frozen grapes. Or if you like crunchy, rice cakes, snap peas, there's tons if options in this day and age if you research it.

• Ilithiya
    Ilithiya May 9, 2013 at 11:32 pm   

Interesting i didn't know that.

• Gum Drop
    Gum Drop February 18, 2016 at 10:30 pm   
    Edited February 18, 2016 at 10:31 pm by Gum Drop

I'll admit to this issue but lately I've noticed I'm slowly getting better to avoid snacking at bedtime especially having T2D. MY sugar is high when I fast in the morning and throughout the day I try very hard to watch what I eat sometimes it's not easy to do. Why I'm getting at is this try to eat light but health foods during with water and at night try not to eat anything after 9pm. Please tell what you think ty.

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar