Pets Just Seem To Get It

By WolfKeepAdri Latest Activity October 19, 2010 at 7:18 pm Views 7,485 Replies 151 Likes 161

WolfKeepAdri

They really do. I've found that pets can sometimes be more concerned for your well being than you are. I haven't found much in the world that helps like a nuzzle of understanding from my dog does. When I am apathetic and sitting in my chair, even my cat will come over and show her support by sitting in my lap. They just know something is wrong, not knowing what it is, and they want to help. Most people cannot find that type of loyalty and care from some of their own species. I wouldn't trade my buddies for a God's reward. They are invaluable to my sanity. It's nice to have someone who wants you to be with them all of the time; dogs more-so than cats. But cats love their people, and they don't want them to be so distraught. As I look over at them sleeping next to my bed, well my cat's on my bed because she thinks she owns it, I am reminded of all the times they were both there for me. Their love is honestly unconditional.

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (151 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • mel2503
    mel2503 January 6 at 3:09 am   

Yes my dog needs me and loves me no matter what.. she is the only one who understands.. she snuggles in my bed when I'm in my lowest, darkness places

• Love McCall
    Love McCall December 3 at 4:59 pm   

True because I was sitting on my couch crying and crying and crying, then the dog I never get along with jumped on the couch and cuddled next to me, licking the tears off of my face. This is so true.

• melz637
    melz637 November 7 at 3:40 pm   

I love my doggies. This whole battle with depression hurts the most when it comes to them. They are sisters and they are such sweet smart and living dogs. Not everyone understands them because they have so much energy… but they mean the world to me. Depression lately has been wearing me out and the days I've spent sleeping or crying, should have been the days they get to run and play… instead they sit hopeful and patient while I feel selfish and sad… this is really hard.

• blu3butt3rfly
    blu3butt3rfly September 29, 2013 at 2:06 am   

I agree :)

• melonball148
    melonball148 August 15, 2013 at 11:18 pm   

Totally agree!

• cat1969
    cat1969 July 30, 2013 at 8:44 pm   

I totally agree! My cat comes and lays with me when I'm sick with a cold or feeling down! They are such good therapists! The world would be a much better place if they learned about love and compassion from pets! The hospitals should have pet therapy!

• alliecat33
    alliecat33 June 17, 2013 at 7:37 am   

Whenever my dog hears me crying he'll run up to me and start licking my face. To me it feels like he's saying its okay everything. Is all right:) it feels like my dog - Elvis wants me to be happy like he doesn't want me to be sad I love my little Elvis so much

• Enviousmist
    Enviousmist June 2, 2013 at 9:07 pm   

That's so true

• maddiekennedy13
    maddiekennedy13 May 5, 2013 at 10:30 am   

My pet really helps m

• Hwnzzy
    Hwnzzy April 12, 2013 at 9:06 pm   

It's true my lovely pup seems to realise when my depression is too much and he comforts me

• Jasmin07
    Jasmin07 February 9, 2013 at 8:47 pm   

I have bought a puppy recently and she is amazing. Makes me laugh ease out my pain
    And now I have a reason to look forward every morning. Unconditional love and the trust ,animals have on us is unbelievable
    When you have feel down just look into your pets eyes for few minutes and it gives instant mood lift
    It's proven result of research studies.

• Jasmin07
    Jasmin07 February 9, 2013 at 8:40 pm   

Truly tru

• RANDOLPH DRAGONS
    RANDOLPH DRAGONS January 27, 2013 at 5:59 pm   

WHERE I LIVE I CAN'T HAVE PETS,I REALLY WISH THAT WE COULD.

• avalon1988
    avalon1988 May 5, 2013 at 1:45 pm   

have a doctor say you need an emotional support animal (ESA). then it is against the law under the fair housing act to be denied your ESA in your home. legally speakng, it would be the same as saying no wheel chairs allowed

• kittenfetus
    kittenfetus May 5, 2013 at 11:32 pm   

A judge CAN determine if you are qualified or not to have an ESA (ie: disabled).

• sobroken
    sobroken January 12, 2013 at 3:20 am   

Yea my dog helps me a lot

• SCAR3D
    SCAR3D November 25, 2012 at 7:17 pm   

My bunny is my buddy. He's so soft and cuddly. I don't think he cheers me up intentionally but he always finds a way. He licks my face if I cry and nuzzles against me. I wouldn't want to go through life without a pet. Best friends and companions for life.

• Anjhelikah
    Anjhelikah November 25, 2012 at 2:40 pm   

My pets take my attention away from depression. One time that I was crying uncontrollably, my kitten started licking my face… I certainly wouldn't trade them for anything ^^

• ladyinquisite
    ladyinquisite November 14, 2012 at 1:03 am   

The absolute love I receive from my pets brings me joy daily. I can't think of any quicker or better route to actual relief than spending time with one of my cats. It always cracks me up, the idea of it. Because I sound like that cliche of "the crazy cat-lady". But I don't mind. Hearing them purr makes me feel content. Such love.

• ladyinquisite
    ladyinquisite November 14, 2012 at 1:03 am   

The absolute love I receive from my pets brings me joy daily. I can't think of any quicker or better route to actual relief than spending time with one of my cats. It always cracks me up, the idea of it. Because I sound like that cliche of "the crazy cat-lady". But I don't mind. Hearing them purr makes me feel content. Such love.

• Cecilia716
    Cecilia716 November 4, 2012 at 3:37 pm   

My cats lay w me when I cry

• Antique Dahlia
    Antique Dahlia August 27, 2012 at 11:48 pm   

When I come home after a rough day, I am cheered by my cats who wait to greet me by the door. I have horrible crying spells where I am literally shaking from sons and my cats will come meow ing into my room and instantly start rubbing against my legs, nudging me with their noses and licking me. They are such a great comfort and do help to keep me going each day.

• tree2424
    tree2424 August 19, 2012 at 5:12 pm   

my dog allways know when iam feeling down he lay right under mey

• LeelooD5
    LeelooD5 August 19, 2012 at 4:45 pm   

I have crying spells and my dog came and just sat next to me, it felt good my dog was there. Having a pet is the best thing that anyone can have. They literally depend on you, push your buttons, make you laugh and understand when something isn't right. Best medication to have. I saved her life and she saved mine in many ways.

• Gina714
    Gina714 August 18, 2012 at 1:04 pm   

I feel the same way. No one gets me like my animals do. They are always checking up on me and reminding me that they're there for me. They know exactly how I feel and they know exactly when I'm feeling it. I love them unconditionally.

• stay-strong
    stay-strong August 18, 2012 at 11:00 am   

I have a dog! He's so cute and he's a great friend. I'm thinking of getting another dog as a companion for him!

• tree2424
    tree2424 August 18, 2012 at 12:59 am   

I love my dog his my best firend

• britb2
    britb2 August 14, 2012 at 10:27 pm   

I love my 2 dogs do much. My older dog knows when I'm upset.

• beccapayne
    beccapayne June 23, 2012 at 2:40 am   

I have 2 dogs and 2 cats, but my cat is probally the most helpful, she will lay with me till I feel better :)

• KitKats21
    KitKats21 May 11, 2012 at 6:10 pm   

That's cover

• WhiteTrashBeautiful
    WhiteTrashBeautiful May 8, 2012 at 11:32 am   

My dog always cares when no one else does.

• Firey Demon dj johnson
  • erinastray
    erinastray April 21, 2012 at 3:29 am   

My cats come to me when I am crying to comfort me, it I amazing how they can sense our pain

• Shane E. P.
    Shane E. P. March 4, 2012 at 3:09 pm   

I agree. Though I lost two animals last year, one in February, and one in September six days after my birthday. I feel as if someone is purposely torturing me.

• Little My
    Little My February 2, 2012 at 10:42 am   

I have a dog, two cats, a snake and a fish tank. It's amazing how having animals around can lift your mood. Especially dogs and cats, I don't know what I'd do without them!

• solitude
    solitude February 2, 2012 at 2:36 pm   

Little my, I know I love my 2 cats…I have been reading more and more lately about this,bets and how they lift people up…

• Little My
    Little My February 2, 2012 at 3:10 pm   

They're just so observant, they really know when something's up and try to help. I remember when I was little and my brother broke his arm, we sat him on the sofa and made him a cup of tea (not realising it was broken) and our cat, Daisy, came and lay next to him with her tail across his arm. When we took him to the hospital the doctor pointed out where the line of the break was on his arm and it was exactly where she had put her tail! And she always used to put her tail across my stomach when I had a tummy ache too.

• solitude
    solitude February 2, 2012 at 7:53 pm   

WOW!! That is some story…amazing..

• freshbegins
    freshbegins January 29, 2012 at 8:41 pm   

I have a small dog for 10 Years and I can honestly say he has help my deep depression he has see me cry and has just being there for me with no judgment or conditions… He is more than a pet to me he is like a child.. At times I cry of pain when I look at his face and think one day I will see him go… I try to not think about it but is hard not to… Pets can be lifesavers he has being for me

• Samantha-jean17
    Samantha-jean17 January 29, 2012 at 8:31 pm   

I agree so much with how much an animal can impact your well being. I live on my own with my boyfriend and I've had pets all my life and I've been without one since May. But it's only in the winter blues It's really killing me to not have one of my babies to snuggle up to and have a good cry or to simply have that affection without judgement. I just wish other people would see how much I need a fluffy baby to love with so much love in return!!!

• robertoj
    robertoj January 31, 2012 at 3:23 am   

Pets are great companions 24/7 I can see how hard it is to be without one.

• StandUp
    StandUp January 20, 2012 at 3:37 pm   

I agree 100% I have severe depression but have two puppies a cat and kitten to help me when I have no one else but my phone and stupid internet.

• dawmie
    dawmie January 18, 2012 at 6:08 pm   

I agree I've had depression for some time and at the beginning all I had was my dogs thy been with me through thick and thin and one in particular knows every expression on my face he's just turned 13 the other day thy never judge you thy just love you what ever x

• fallingalone22
    fallingalone22 January 17, 2012 at 7:17 am   

It's true. I'm reading this book, " Chicken Soup For The Cat Lovers Soul" (I love cats) and a lot of depressed people that can't get help from meds get cats, which cheer them up. That's why I'm begging my mom to get me a cat.

• marieanne
    marieanne January 22, 2012 at 1:10 am   

I have read this book & love it too. :) I have 4 dogs & 6 cats, mostly
    elderly & rescued. I Love them all. They do make a huge difference in our lives-
    there's is no way to ever repay them for all they give but I insist on trying to.
    I am lucky to have help caring for them, each one is very special! Hugs, marieanne

• tabbyluv
    tabbyluv December 26, 2011 at 6:12 pm   

My cat died ages ago. The cat was called Tabitha. Tabby for short. And I downloaded this app because I was crying about her. She was the best cat ever. She would come up and wake me in the middle of the night and then snuggle up next to me. She would always be wet and always start purring. She got hit by a car when I was away. :-( R.I.P best cat in the world.

• tabbyluv
    tabbyluv December 26, 2011 at 6:13 pm   

Oops, accidentally liked my own comment… my bad!

• DanielleSmith
    DanielleSmith December 17, 2011 at 5:58 pm   

When my cat died nearly 2 years ago I fell apart completely. He was my rock when I had no friends and would always cheer me up. I spent most of my time with him and I'm even crying now because I miss him. I just keep looking at my door waiting for him to come.

• marieanne
    marieanne November 25, 2011 at 5:55 pm   

Pets are great for those suffering illness, of any kind. They will "be there"
    for you, it's so true. They are a true Blessing from above. I have 4 dogs
    & 6 cats- & get a lot of help taking care of them. They are all rescues, &
    are the best! This I count as one of my greatest Blessings~ Hugs, marieanne

• lalalollipop
    lalalollipop November 25, 2011 at 5:45 pm   

My cats are always there for me . It's like they sense depression cus they always make me happy

• pinyonjay
    pinyonjay November 6, 2011 at 10:20 pm   

My dog is always there for me. She has definitely saved my life on occasion. Without her I would be totally lost.

• mark2
    mark2 November 2, 2011 at 8:47 pm   

I really like thus but this also caused me a great deal of pain. Not even 6 hours ago my dog was put to sleep. I lost it all when I held her and she stopped breathing. I composed myself but now little things set me off. I know it's good but I have work and school tomorrow and these things will distract me. I usually turn to music but i can't find a song. Can anyone give me a tip on how to just completely flush this sadness away for awhile

• middle
    middle November 28, 2011 at 9:01 am   

I had to put my favorite dog to sleep due to medical reasons. It was the hardest thing I had to do. However, I will say the vet was great and I got to spend a lot of time with my Scooter. It broke my heart and I was a total B for a couple of days. I think we just have to say I had to put my pet down- I feel sad and am distracted.

• Cheesepie
    Cheesepie January 17, 2012 at 1:48 am   

My dog died a few months ago. He was 15 & he was having seizures. They got so bad that he was in pain, so we decided it would be best for him to go. He was happy to go because he got all happy when he was in the car.

• seeker57
    seeker57 October 3, 2011 at 3:25 pm   

Understand about pets. They look at you with love and understanding all the time. Not judging like a lot of humans.

• AquarianTears
    AquarianTears September 30, 2011 at 9:14 pm   

Love my 5 dogs more than I do people. They have always been there for me no matter what.

• SweetSavanna
    SweetSavanna September 30, 2011 at 9:05 pm   

Thank god for animals.

• FMH
    FMH September 30, 2011 at 2:17 pm   

My cats know when I am depressed. They are my rock during these times. I just want to feel better so they will feel better. My main job is to make sure they have food and water and a clean litterbox! I consider my cats my family. When I had to give up 5 cats in July (I still have 2) my world feel apart! Along with having a homeless relative that I worry about has set me into a deep depression. I have suffered off and on since 1993 and have been on just about every med. you can be on. I am unable to find free counseling so thank you for this website. I have been on Effexor and just started with Zyprexa 1 week ago. This is day 9 and I am feeling a bit better and hope it continues.

• 100 Acre Woods
    100 Acre Woods September 30, 2011 at 3:02 pm   

Your cats sound wonderful! I hope your drugs keep working for you. I take Cymbalta and that works well for me. Praise God! :)

• middle
    middle November 28, 2011 at 9:02 am   

I took Cymbalta and it gave me headaches and night mares. Is that unusual?

• Libby121
    Libby121 November 28, 2011 at 2:38 pm   

Hi! I have taken Cymbalta for several years now. While I do have some Wierd dreams, I don't necessarily attribute it to Cymbalta. My headaches are usually sinus or stress. How many mgs were you taking? Did you start low and work your way up? Do you take it at the same time as you take other meds? How long prior to bedtime?

• ameliapond
    ameliapond September 30, 2011 at 1:54 am   

My cats give me moments when I totally forget what I'm feeling. They make me smile with their different personalities.

• Morganator13
    Morganator13 September 30, 2011 at 1:44 am   

To be honest, my dog is the only thing keeping me alive right now. I feel that if I where to die, it would break his little heart. He was already sad when I moved out for 3 months so I can't even imagine how he would be of I died.

• 100 Acre Woods
    100 Acre Woods September 30, 2011 at 10:04 am   

Pets are a wonderful thing to live for. You love them and they love you back. You feed and water them. Keep them warm when they need to be warm and cool when they need to be cool. And in their own way, they take care of you and see that you take care of yourself. They are wonderful! :)

• 100 Acre Woods
    100 Acre Woods September 30, 2011 at 10:04 am   

Pets are a wonderful thing to live for. You love them and they love you back. You feed and water them. Keep them warm when they need to be warm and cool when they need to be cool. And in their own way, they take care of you and see that you take care of yourself. They are wonderful! :)

• MissSparkles81
    MissSparkles81 September 26, 2011 at 6:50 pm   

My cat is the best thing in my life right now. He always knows how to make me feel better. Usually he'll lay on my lap when I'm having a low. He never leaves my side and he's always begging for attention, even if I'm already giving it to him. LOL! He's the best cat in the world. I'm so grateful to have him. :)

• Joshua113138
    Joshua113138 September 20, 2011 at 12:48 am   

Bubba always understood. He was a great dog. I agree with your post animals are truly amazing

• Bella Blue
    Bella Blue September 19, 2011 at 7:39 pm   

I am a certified dog trainer and a foster mom. I loved reading this. Animals are incredible. They are the reason I get up in the morning. To change lives, to make their lives better. They make mine better too :)

• CobaltCat
    CobaltCat September 5, 2011 at 9:12 pm   

I totally agree. I swear my cats have saved my life. Once when I was seriously contemplating suicide, my usually cold shouldered kitty came over and sat on my lap and I decided not to do anything. Life still isn't great but I got a cat tattoo on my leg in memory of this event.

• AquarianTears
    AquarianTears September 4, 2011 at 9:52 am   

That is so true. I have 5 rescue dogs, who have been with me thru all my hard times, when I cry and sob they look at me and come sit by me, and actually look sad. My dachund actually cries with me. Just going thru a bad breakup 3 weeks ago, and they were all scared of him when he lived here cuz of his anger/temper issues and how he would scream at me. He hit one of them while mad at me. Would have rather have him hit me. But, they definetly know what is going on and love me more than anything. My ex couldnt understand why I loved animals maybe more than people, told me I wqs selfish and stupid for that. Cant understand why someone wouldnt love a quality about someone that is compassion.

• suicidaltendencies
    suicidaltendencies August 23, 2011 at 9:08 am   

Their love is unconditional all they ask is for shelter food and water. And the same affection in return. I had 3 hamsters but the other ones bit me except herby. Yesterday I found him dead with his face completely eaten away I saw the other hamsters feasting on him it was horrible. I picked up his little body with a glove and placed it in a box that used to be for my microphone. He always used to stare at me with those little black eyes and I always felt hope now I feel in pain. I was so hurt by the hamsters eating him I took them to a pet store and gave it to them. I loved herby so much.:(

• 100 Acre Woods
    100 Acre Woods September 29, 2011 at 9:54 pm   

I am so sorry about Herby. I wouldn't have wanted to keep the other 2 either. That is too bizarre! Are you thinking about getting a cat or some other pet. I know someone that has a turtle and that particular turtle loves attention. But it would be hard to snuggle :)

• justdontcareanyoneishappyimnot
    justdontcareanyoneishappyimnot July 29, 2011 at 3:18 am   

Well I agree about your comments on pets, but, however, nothing compares to one of God's Rewards! The pets are some of his gifts!

• Tired-of-depression
    Tired-of-depression July 22, 2011 at 12:17 pm   

I know what you mean! When I am more than just depressed I take my dog or cat into my room and hold them and cry silently on my bed. Sometimes I even whisper softly to them abot it all.

• Continued on Next Page Arrow-right
Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar