overthinking

By igeeyuh Latest Activity May 15, 2015 at 12:38 am Views 898 Replies 6 Likes 2

igeeyuh

i was recently told by some people that clearing your head really helps. however, whenever i do try to focus on just one thing, like counting or something like that, my thoughts are always interrupted. i just can't relax or focus on one thing no matter how hard i try. how do any of you concentrate?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (6 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • southerngirl1958
    southerngirl1958 May 29, 2015 at 10:49 am   

I too over analyze things. As humans, I feel we try to "fix" everything instead of letting go & trust that things will work into the right places. I have a hard time at night being an insomniac because of all the things that I need to be doing or fix.

• jacques_greene
    jacques_greene May 27, 2015 at 4:23 pm   

I too think a lot. It's just the way we are. Something that's helped me is acknowledging that thoughts are just thoughts that pass through our heads due to culture and conditioning, and don't necessarily need to be acted upon, or stressed about, RIGHT NOW. Unless of course there's a lion chasing your ass or some other serious biological threat.

When I'm having trouble falling asleep because of racing thoughts, I have to give my permission to worry all I want tomorrow, just not right now.

• Dr GaryCA May 22, 2015 at 5:35 pm   

Hi Igeeyuh, I don't think our minds are every without thoughts. That's the way we work. But what you can do is to say "hi thought" and just let it go. You can recognize and acknowledge our thought without getting caught up in them. You might give that a try. Also, you can access guided meditations on YouTube which might also be helpful.

• neets35
    neets35 May 15, 2015 at 2:29 am   

Listen to a guided meditation it takes all the difficulty out of it as the speaker tells you what to imagine and takes you through a little journey. Once you have got used to that the focusing and relaxing will be a lot easier to achieve.

• igeeyuh
    igeeyuh May 15, 2015 at 11:17 am   

thanks! I've been trying that kind of thing, but somehow I can still hear myself thinking… stuff like "I should show this to __" and other stuff that might relate to whatever's being said

• neets35
    neets35 May 15, 2015 at 3:12 pm   

It just takes practice keep at it

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar