Anxiety!!

By Amelia01 Latest Activity June 30 at 7:34 am Views 208 Replies 1

Amelia01

Hi all,
Does coffee give us relief from stress? I have heard like that, but is it true?
I have been suffering from social anxiety disorder for a few years. I hate being in a crowd. I constantly have a feeling that, I might say something stupid if someone ask me anything. And when I have this feeling I sweat and get shivers. Because of this I constantly avoid parties and going out. I even avoid hanging out with my friends. I have been [url=http://www.drmtherapy.com/individual-therapy/... anxiety disorders treatments from Toronto[/url]. I think it has helped me to improve my case. Actually, when I was a kid, I didn’t have this much problem. It increased when I grew older.
Is it worth trying to take coffee along with my therapies to get over this? Hope it works!
Wish me good luck!

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (1 reply)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Dr GaryCA July 4 at 7:50 pm   

Hi, I read your post with great interest. I am not a physician so I can't comment on the biochemical aspects of coffee. But it has been my experience that caffeine is a stimulant, and consequently more likely to increase anxiety than to lower it. I have encouraged my clients coping with stress and anxiety to consider laying off stimulants, including caffeine, especially from the afternoon onward. So it is interesting to think that it could help with social anxiety. On the other hand, habits can be comforting, so maybe that would cause a cup of coffee to be reassuring. I think one of the best ways to deal with social anxiety is through therapy. Cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) has, for example, been shown to be helpful for individuals living with social anxiety. This might be something to consider. I hope you will stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar