Husband addicted to gambling

By Silbyn Latest Activity July 12 at 4:52 am Views 126 Replies 2

Silbyn

Hey, I am here to seek an immediate help. I am depressed because my husband is addicted to gambling. He wastes all of his money through gambling and I have to suffer to run the family.
I am really concerned about the financial situation. I feel that my husband is unreliable. This thought haunts me and it keeps me awake at night. When I am worried about his whereabouts in the evening, I struggle to parent my young children. I use television to entertain them and feel guilty of not finding enough time to play with them. I feel like that I have no one to talk to about my concerns.
I often think of seeking professional help and making him undergo a gambling addiction treatment ( http://edgewoodhealthnetwork.com/what-we-trea... ) from Seattle. I don't think that he will not be ready to undergo a treatment for addiction. But, I desperately need something to be done, or our family will be torn apart.
What do you guys think? Is there anybody over here who can offer some sort of help?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (2 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Dr GaryCA July 15 at 11:24 pm   

Hey Silbyn, I am really glad that you found your way to Depression Connect, and that you took the time to let us know what you are dealing with. I am so sorry to hear about your husband's gambling addiction. I can only begin to imagine the toll it must take on you and on your family. As you probably know, addictions can only be treated if the person who has the addiction is willing to admit that there is a problem and reaches out for help. It sounds, from what you said, that your husband may not have yet reached that point. I think you might benefit from a 12 step group like Alanon. Alanon is for family members of addicts. You might find a lot of support there. I also encourage you to reach out to a mental health professional if you can. You could benefit a lot from support from someone who is trained to help you sort this out, and to help you to learn some new coping strategies. It's really important to put yourself and your family first, to do what you need to do to protect yourself, emotionally and financially. Take good care of yourself. Get support. Get information from trusted advisors. Don't go through this alone. I hope you will keep in touch with us and let us know how you are doing.

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar