Hiding Depression Behind Humor

By Chef_Utah Latest Activity October 5 at 12:52 pm Views 114 Replies 1 Likes 1

Chef_Utah

Every once in a while I get on YouTube and I get stuck watching videos about Robin Williams. It hits me hard. I don't know Robin but I can imagine, at least a little bit, how he must have felt in real life. He was such a great man and made the world laugh but behind that comedy was depression.

I am a very sarcastic person and am constantly making jokes and trying to laugh and make people laugh because I don't want people to know how I really feel. I am scared of people knowing the feeling of inadequacy, insecurity, and sometimes hopelessness that I really feel inside.

Anyone else feel this way?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (1 reply)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Dr GaryCA October 12 at 1:36 pm   

Hey Chef_Utah, it is nice to see you again. I know what you mean about Robin Williams. He was such a talented person and so troubled. It has been my experience that humor can be used as a cover for other feelings, sarcastic humor can express anger, sadness, disappointment, sarcasm and fear, it can put up a wall between you and other people but it can also be a cry for help and support. Sounds like you have a lot of insight into yourself and how you use your sarcasm. I am hopeful that you are also opening yourself up to getting support from others, that you can let your wall down and let other people in. Are you getting some help from a mental health professional? Glad you shared this. I am sure you are not alone. Stay in touch, okay?

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar