Where do start for help?

By Sound Mark Latest Activity April 20 at 9:03 pm Views 585 Replies 2 Likes 1

Sound Mark

Hi, my name is Mark. I hate to introduce myself this way but I feel like I need to get this out asap. I am finding that things are greater than me and that I can't handle everything being thrown my way. My life, my thoughts, my feelings, these are things I feel like I can't control and finally, at 31 years old I am starting to break. How do I start looking for and getting help? I feel like I need someone I don't know to talk to because I don't want to talk to anyone I do know. I know that may sound counterproductive or lame but I can't bring myself to talk to my closest friends and family yet about how I am feeling. From an outside perspective, my life seems great but I can't shake certain feelings and thoughts… Do I seek a Psychiatrist or a Therapist? What do I need to do? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (2 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • irobot92
    irobot92 May 23 at 11:13 am   

Talking about this, that alone is a step towards the right direction :) don't give up friend!

• Dr GaryCA April 24 at 10:18 pm   

Hey Mark, it's really great to meet you. I am glad you are here with us on Depression Connect! Sounds like you have a lot going on in your life and that you're ready to take the next step and get some help. That is a very brave thing to do. I would recommend reaching to a psychotherapist, who could talk with you, assess what's going on, and recommend a way forward. From what you describe, I think you would find therapy helpful, to give you some additional perspective and to teach you some coping skills. Generally, psychiatrists prescribe medication. If you and your therapist decide you might benefit from medication, then this might be an additional step to take. I hope you will get connected with a therapist soon. Sounds like you are ready. Take good care of yourself, my friend, and let us know how you're doing.

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar