Medication

By CelticPoet Latest Activity May 22 at 1:37 am Views 179 Replies 2

CelticPoet

I have severe depression and have tried several antidepressants. I can't abide the side effects. I have a stomach ulcer so cannot tolerate serotonin reuptake inhibitors. I have heart arrhythmias (PVCs) so cannot take medicines that work on norepinephrine. I have enlarged prostate so TCAs are not advisable. I have anxiety with depression so need a medicine that works on both. I don't need anything that agitates, sedates, or causes weight gain. I have tried moclobemide which didn't have a lot of side effects but didn't help, either. I took it for two weeks and it made me nervous and restless at the end. Tried Zoloft, caused stomach upset and headaches. Tried Cymbalta, caused bad insomnia. Tried Trintellix, caused trouble breathing and fatigue. Tried nortriptyline, caused increased heart rate and insomnia. Tried Wellbutrin, caused nervousness, and anxiety worsened. I've used Tianeptine; it helped but tolerance developed.

I've researched many antidepressants and seems there are none that I'm suited for. Can anyone help/make suggestions about antidepressants that might work for me? Thanks.

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (2 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Dr GaryCA May 30 at 4:17 pm   

Hey CelticPoet. That's a great name. I am glad to wee you here on DepressionConnect. I am a therapist but not a physician, so I can't give you specific recommendations. I am wondering if you have talked to your psychiatrist about non-medication treatments. For example, I use cognitive behavior therapy with my clients and many have been helped by this approach. Again, I am not in any way trying to make a recommendation, but I have worked with clients who tried ECT when they weren't getting enough help from medication and were helped by it. Again, just wondering if you have looked outside of standard medication for options. Also, there are always new medications on the horizon. So I hope you will keep advocating for yourself. Please keep us posted on how you're doing.

• irobot92
    irobot92 May 23 at 11:10 am   

I have the same issues. You should really speak to your doctor and explain to them how those pills make you feel. Please don't give up on yourself, you deserve to give yourself a chance. I have been through about 6 different pills, I still haven't found the right one but I have hope that I will find one that works for me :)

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar