I'm new here......

By sosha888 Latest Activity July 13 at 3:20 pm Views 191 Replies 1 Likes 1

sosha888

…and feel like I've been through the wringer. MY treatment options have come to rTMS, and I'm nervous.

I've been struggling with depression for 25 years. What you would call "highly functional", meaning I maintain a good job. Medications have always helped, and I feel like I've taken everything under the sun. About 2 years ago, things stopped working. Adjunct meds weren't helping. I cried every day, several times a day. I became desperate, and turned to Ketamine. I went through the six infusions, and had DRAMATIC results. I felt better. The tears stopped. All of my dark thoughts just slipped away; it was like nothing bad stuck in my brain. the problem with K is that it has to be maintained. Taking it every other day to keep myself pseudo happy. I realized it wasn't going to be "the fix", but more of a band aid, that needed to be maintained. After 8 months of the K treatment, I finally agreed to explore rTMS.

Met with a doctor that uses K with rTMS, and he has high hopes for recovery. Isn't that an amazing word? RECOVERY. Anyway, I have to be off work for 7 weeks for treatment. It starts in 12 days, and I'm scared. I feel the need to reach out to people who have maybe been through something like this. Or anyone. Just to feel a little supported. I'm divorced, no kids. Have supportive sisters, but need more. So, I thought I'd come and share my story. Thanks for "listening".

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (1 reply)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Dr GaryCA July 23 at 4:04 pm   

Hi sosha, welcome to Depression Connect. I am so glad you're here. And thanks a lot for telling your story. I have read a little about ketamine, but haven't talked to anyone who has tried it. Sounds like you have really benefited from it if you are feeling that much better. That's great news. I am not familiar with rTMS, but am going to do some research of my own. I am hoping you continue to have good results with these new treatments. I really appreciate that you reached out. I am wishing you the best! And I hope you will keep us posted on how you're doing.

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar