So, so discouraged

By shrekwife Latest Activity August 18 at 12:32 pm Views 596 Replies 1

shrekwife

I have been dealing with severe back pain for about four years now. My husband switched jobs last year so we had new insurance in January to Kaiser and so I have a new neurosurgeon this year and he has been telling me he would fix my back. Then when I went in this past Thursday to get a date he says he will not operate until I lose a substantial amount of weight and I should consider gastric bypass. My insurance will not pay for it. And I do not eat large amounts of food, never have. I have thyroid problems and have gained 30 pounds in 4 months as my doctor has decreased my thyroid meds again. I am so discouraged and just don't know what to do do. No on seems to want to help me. I am at a total loss and just want to give up and give in. My back pain is debilitating and if I could just have the surgery it would be a start.

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (1 reply)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Dr GaryCA August 29 at 9:09 pm   

Hi shrekwife, it's nice to see you. I really appreciate that you checked in and let us know what's going on with you. Many of my clients are living with chronic health conditions and I have unfortunately heard similar stories about how hard it is to get the right kind of help in the healthcare system. I can understand how frustrating this can be. I am wondering if you have talked with your thyroid doctor and explained the situation you are in, and seeing if he/she has any suggestions to help you. It might help to start there. Your doctor might also be able to suggest what you can do about the weight gain. Just an idea. Also, given your back situation, I am wondering if you might be able to appeal the gastric bypass restriction. That might also be worth looking into. I suspect there is a process for this, which might require your neurosurgeon advocating for you. I hope you will find an answer, and the help you need. Please keep us posted on how you're doing.

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar