new

By undreyaa Latest Activity September 17 at 2:28 pm Views 619 Replies 1 Likes 1

undreyaa

Hello,

I am new and this is the first time I am talking about my depression. Lately, I have been feelings lonely and I want to isolate myself from everyone. Usually, whenever I feel bad about myself I would go out and drink a lot. But now, I feel like drinking is making me feel worse about how I feel about myself. Some days I don't want to eat and I lack a lot of energy everyday so it's hard for me to get up every morning for work. I would like to change this habit of mine and feelings about myself into a more positive one but it hard to change these emotions about yourself when you have no one to talk to. I also would like to eventually set up an appointment with a therapist to discuss my issues, but I also feel afraid to set an appointment because what if the way I feel is not worth talking about. I am confused on what to do and who I should talk to.

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (1 reply)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Dr GaryCA September 20 at 12:48 pm   

Hi undreyaa, it's great to meet you. I am glad you found your way to Depression Connect. I am sorry to hear you are feeling so lonely, and that you are isolating yourself. I have a couple of suggestions. First, do you have people in your life that you could spend some time with, who would listen without judging you or telling you what to do? Just being around supportive people could help a lot. Given your comment about drinking, you might want to choose people you are less likely to drink with, or ask them in advance to support you in not drinking. I totally agree that talking to a supportive person could give you some additional perspective. And I also encourage you to reach out to a mental health professional. What you are feeling is very much worth talking about. The double whammy of depression is that the depression tells you how bad you feel and then it tells you there is nothing you can do about it, but that's not true. What you are experiencing is treatable. So I hope you will get connected with a mental health professional. Take good care of yourself, my friend. And let us know how you are doing!

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar