How we feel about our friends here at DC

By marieanne Latest Activity January 3, 2012 at 10:47 pm Views 1,017 Replies 36 Likes 8

marieanne

I wanted to start this post to see how each of us feels about our friends
here on DC, and if you feel like they are "real friends"?

I feel as though the friends I make here are "real friends", no matter
that I've never met you. I would still want to hug you if I met you!
You are important to me as any of my friends that I have met. Please
share how you feel about your friends here, or anything else that you
feel about making friends here. Thanks.

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (36 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • marieanne
    marieanne February 28, 2012 at 4:12 pm   

Update- now that I've been here for quite a while, I have noticed so many
    people that are helpful or those that just want to help. This is a blessing to
    all and to this site. I commend all those people. :) Thanks. Hugs, marieanne

• RhondaDB
    RhondaDB February 28, 2012 at 5:58 pm   

I definitely agree with you marieanne. So many people do truly care & want to help others any way they can on here.

• RhondaDB
    RhondaDB February 28, 2012 at 5:58 pm   

I definitely agree with you marieanne. So many people do truly care & want to help others any way they can on here.

• Harvey Dent
    Harvey Dent January 10, 2012 at 10:56 pm   

I don't have and friends on here or at my school. I used to have one but she's gone.

• theatrefan
    theatrefan January 8, 2012 at 3:30 am   

I'm not sure if I would consider the people I meet here as friends. Probably because I trust issues an it takes a long time for me to open myself up to new people.

That being said I find everyone to be incredibly supportive and inspirational even when they are having a bad day. I smile, laugh, cry… mostly just feel things that I usually push into some deep dark corner oft mind. I really want to be able to reach out and be that back but I'm so tired it's very hard. Someday.
    I also only connect on my mobile so I can't see my home page or write personal notes or anything.
    Some people make a huge impression on me but I never let them know. My therapist is helping me with talking about and recognizing my feelings and letting them out.

• Michiestar
    Michiestar January 7, 2012 at 7:04 pm   

I have been normal for 2 days!! a few days ago I was so desperate looking for suicide hotlines and I found this website. I was really sad feeling I couldn't do it anymore. I just want to say hi to everybody and that I am glad we r not alone. Thanks God for all of you.

• RhondaDB
    RhondaDB January 7, 2012 at 7:06 pm   

I am SO glad you found DC Michiestar ! You are not alone..you can always come here and talk with us.

• marieanne
    marieanne January 7, 2012 at 6:40 pm   

May God Bless each & every one of you. Thanks for posting here about how you feel, it's so important to me, & I think it helps all of us understand each
    others point of view. Hugs, marieanne

• RhondaDB
    RhondaDB January 7, 2012 at 7:02 pm   

marieanne…your questions help us all think about things & it is nice to know that others can feel the same or at least understand.

• MEXICAN BEAUTY
    MEXICAN BEAUTY January 7, 2012 at 9:16 am   

I DONT GET SO ACTIVE IN HERE, BUT THE FEW PEOPLE THAT I BEING HAVING SOME KIND OF CONECTION, THEY ALL BETTER FRIENDS THAT SO MANY SO CALLED FRIENDS I HAVE IN HERE LOCALLY IN TOWN,PEOPLE THAT REALLY GIVE GOOD ADVISE AND LISTEN,SO FAR THIS IS THE BEST PLACE FOR ME TO INTERACT WITH PEOPLE WITH MY SAME PROBLEMS SO WE CAN UNDERSTAND EACH OTHER BETTER

• neets35
    neets35 January 6, 2012 at 4:30 pm   

I do feel like I have friends here. I also like the fact that when I can't sleep and it's 3am I can talk to people. In my normal life my friends might get annoyed if I phoned them that early. People understand here because we are all feeling similar things. Hugs to all my friends and all those who soon will be.

• meter readers of void
    meter readers of void January 6, 2012 at 2:14 am   

its nice to be able to express my good days and the bad ones,the input from others help me make a better understanding of my own being,and how to look at them [my problems] from your point of view ;thanks!

• Soxxy
    Soxxy January 5, 2012 at 10:13 pm   

I love this site. It's amazing how I consider friends on here more than the one we have lost.

• Dr GaryCA January 5, 2012 at 11:56 am   

Hi!

This is a great discussion. I continue to be amazed at the connections that people make here on Depression Connect, and how we support each other. I feel like it is a real community of people who understand and care about each other. I am thankful every day that we are in each other's lives.

Gary

• Soxxy
    Soxxy January 5, 2012 at 10:12 pm   

Hi Gary. Its nice to meet you. It's great having a site like this. Its surprising how many people feel the same way as I do, because when u go through depression it's like no one knows what it's like. Marieanne is a big help. This site has helped me so much.

• Dr GaryCA January 6, 2012 at 9:30 pm   

Hi Soxxy,

I am glad to hear the site is helping you. You're right, marieanne is awesome. Let's make sure we stay in touch. I am always around.

• Soxxy
    Soxxy January 8, 2012 at 10:27 pm   

Hi again Gary! Just wondering if u r like the organizer of Depression Connection.

• Dr GaryCA January 10, 2012 at 10:21 pm   

HI! Thanks for asking. No, I am just a community advocate, so I am kind of in a supporting role. Everybody is kind of an organizer here. I hope you had a good day today! Have a god Wednesday!

• Soxxy
    Soxxy January 12, 2012 at 5:22 pm   

Thx! You too. My problems are getting better too! You are a great help!

• lifedriver
    lifedriver January 5, 2012 at 11:27 am   

I really enjoy the communication and sharing here on this site and the many whom reach out to help. So many friends here don't know how I could make it without them.

• marieanne
    marieanne January 5, 2012 at 7:50 am   

Hi middle, you are a big support to many here Dear1. Please let us be supportive of you also. We all have them days where were not so good- me too.
    Hugs, marieanne

• middle
    middle January 4, 2012 at 11:24 pm   

Everyone I have met here have been so supportive in my good days and bad days. I consider everyone a real friend. I can come on here anytime and talk to someone. It was scary at first but now I feel so comfortable. I try to be positive and provide suggestions but some days I just can't do it. Carol

• RhondaDB
    RhondaDB January 5, 2012 at 1:54 am   

I think we all have days like that…depression hits us all at different times…you are always so supportive here. I know everyone appreciates it a lot.

• ctoro
    ctoro January 4, 2012 at 11:14 pm   

I don't have many friends on here, as I am a newcomer, but just from some of the things people have posted, I feel a lot less alone.

• RhondaDB
    RhondaDB January 4, 2012 at 11:20 pm   

Welcome to DC ctoro…so glad you don't feel so alone now & hope you enjoy posting & reading what others post : )

• dimples =:)
    dimples =:) January 4, 2012 at 10:07 am   

There are as couple of people on this site that I became really close to even though we never met each other we speak almost every day offering each other courage and support. Sometimes we speak more than once a day at various hours. What's great about two of the friends I met here is that the three of us are all friends and we've formed this close friendship. The other great thing about a few other people I met here is that we are going similar situations in that we are trying to stop cutting. Through this site we offer each other support and we check in on each other every now and then and give courage to each other to continue. So yeah there's a lot of people on her and it's hard to get to know everyone - but the people I do talk to often I consider my real friends

• connie62269
    connie62269 January 3, 2012 at 11:14 pm   

just try to remember that all of us here are dealing with something… That's why we came here in the first place… That's what makes us belong… But at the same time, we are a broken people and we don't always have the energy to be nice.. We sometimes probably say things we shouldn't and we make mistakes… I have not been able to find a delete key :( … And sometimes, we are not capable of helping each other just because it's too much and we need help ourselves… try and understand that your friends here are smuggling too.

• RhondaDB
    RhondaDB January 3, 2012 at 11:16 pm   

I think sometimes we do forget that..that everyone is struggling. It is so hard to think that when we feel terrible…been there :(
    I think it helps when we remind folks of this like we do on here.

• connie62269
    connie62269 January 3, 2012 at 11:49 pm   

I'm amazed that people are as kind to each other as they are… There is some distance and you don't always get an immediate reply, but people do try and help you out when your feeling down. —- the play it forward approach I guess. I think it's a good site overall. Someplace to go when you feel like you need a pick me up or when mainstream life gets you down. I have very few friends in mainstream life and those I do have a difficult time understanding me. It helps me just to get on here and just babble some nights… lol… I would be lying if I said i didn't need to do that sometimes… then other nights I don't feel like talking at all… those are the nights when it is hard for me to get on here and be supportive.

I really was worried about everyone over the holidays… so much sadness and depression surounds the entire month of december… all of the celebrating makes those of us who feel alone feel even worse… we feel excluded as well..

Oh how i used to enjoy christmas so long ago… but there was stress there too. I was always the only cousin without a boyfriend… the ugly duckling.. the tomboy.. I felt like the fifth wheel most of my young life…

then marriage, and divorce, child rearing, money problems, health issues, family conflict, family competition (that's the one that gets me why do family members compete with one another???) short daylight hours, and all of that stuff gets to you and then the holidays end up being a nightmare instead of the dreamy experience it's supposed to be.

• marieanne
    marieanne January 4, 2012 at 12:23 am   

Thanks again connie62269. Showing kindness to others is a choice we all make daily in our lives, who best to show kindness than the very ones where it
    "has been so hard for"- us. Treating others the way we need to be treated
    is a good way to go, in my opinion. Goodness encourages goodness and
    so on. This site here & the others are a true Blessing! Where else can you go
    where others understand what you are going through & will reach out to
    each other? The Holidays are a hard time for many, I agree. Me, too. I
    now look at the Holidays this way- do the things that mean the most to
    me & forget about the rest. I am not running a race here (in my life) I
    will make the most of it by starting my own traditions that make me happy-
    and spending time with those that I care about. It has taken me many yrs.
    to see it this way but I'm glad that I do. You are right, competition does not
    belong in a Family, nor amongst friends either, for that matter. I won't say
    that this is easy to do, but can be done. Make these occasions what you
    want them to be, not what others want them to be. This might sound selfish
    at first, but it is not. You deserve to enjoy the Holidays, too. Thanks Dear1,
    Hugs, marieanne P.S. I like this paying it forward!

• connie62269
    connie62269 January 5, 2012 at 2:12 am   

thanks marieanne :)

• marieanne
    marieanne January 3, 2012 at 11:46 pm   

I agree connie62269. There will be times when "things just come out wrong" or we're having a bad day. It happens, we are all human. There is supposed to be a way to edit things we want to change after we write them, but, I just noticed that it's only here on some of the replies, it should be on all of the
    replies so that they can be edited. Sounds like we need to let someone know of this. Thanks. Hugs, marieanne

• RhondaDB
    RhondaDB January 3, 2012 at 11:14 pm   

Great question marieanne !

I have made some good friends here & I think most people here really want to be friends as well as have friends. I think it's great because they have a site for teenagers too but the teenagers can also talk on here and most adults are understanding & supportive.

I really have learned a lot from others, regardless of their age. The teenagers have helped me understand some stuff & I appreciate that. I think most people are very willing to help not just asking for help and that is kind of cool.

I have been helped on here in ways it's hard to explain, but I really do like DC except when it wouldn't let me go to my profile page earlier tonight…no fair when it's "busy" on here…haha…but they fixed that quickly.

• marieanne
    marieanne January 3, 2012 at 11:41 pm   

Thanks RhondaDB. I am glad to have met people here & have an opportunity
    to get to know others here, too. There truly are so many who care. I am glad
    that they fixed this issue quickly with the site, I have had this happen too-
    or been thrown off here once. I like your point that we need to remember
    that others are still struggling here, good point. I think we've got a great
    group of people here. Thanks. Hugs, marieanne

• solitude
    solitude January 3, 2012 at 11:02 pm   

Marieanne, VERY good discussion! Well I have to admit , I have had some bad experiences on this site. Whenever you deal with people you do not know, I guess that has to be expected. WE all want to trust people. It has been told by the advocates not to give phone numbers, addresses(etc) so we can protect ourselves. All in all, I HAVE had much support on this site and made great friends including you. I still think it is important to get therapy or support in person and not use this or any site as a substitute. However, that is just my opinion. I go to a support group in person in addition to my Med doc. I also love the advice from the professionals like Dr, Gary on here. He has helped me tremendously…Take care and God Bless,

• marieanne
    marieanne January 3, 2012 at 11:16 pm   

Dear solitude, I agree totally, you must protect yourself here as you would on any internet site. I am sorry that you've had some bad experiences, friend.
    I agree that this shouldn't be utilized instead of getting professional care,
    just as a support group, but still is a big help, to many. There will always
    be some that abuse the opportunity to be here, & treat people in a
    way that they shouldn't or take advantage of others. This is sad when
    this happens, I hope it doesn't happen often. I do believe that some here
    really do care about others. Thanks. Hugs to all, marieanne

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar