How To Improve Your Depression Today

By Learning To Love Yourself Latest Activity January 23, 2011 at 7:59 am Views 8,831 Replies 68 Likes 77

Learning To Love Yourself

Hey guys, I just wanted to put something together to help you if you are feeling low or need a little lift today (or whenever you may need one)

I've suffered from depression for years and have spent hundreds of hours researching and trying things to improve it…

Doing these simple things have helped me improve my mood and well being immensely. I'm really hope some of these tips work for you guys too…

1. Eat healthily
I'm sure you've probably heard this before, but you are what you eat. So instead of grabbing a burger or some junk food and a cola, buy yourself a healthy sandwich and an orange juice. Try and get at least 3-4 portions of fruit and vegetables.

Here's some foods that have been PROVEN to improve your mood… and help your brain function better which will help you think more clearly…

Blueberrys

Wholegrain oats or brown rice - both release energy slowly, so you avoid mood swings/sugar cravings

Cacao - yes chocolate! Better in raw 100% format if you can stomach it - avoid processed, sugary bars. If you do Go for at least 85%

Fish - containing omega 3 - salmon, tuna, etc

also try to take a multi-vitimin daily if you can.

2. Get plenty of sunshine or fresh air
Natural sunlight is a proven cure for depression. You could go for a walk or do something out in your garden or in the local park.

3. Exercise
Engage in regular exercise at least three times per week. Exercise lifts your mood and alters your brain chemistry in a positive way. If its a social exercise like soccer, etc then even better.

4. Experience laughter.
You must have heard the saying, laughter is the best medicine? Thats because it's a great natural medicine! Watch a comedy film or comedian or meet up with a 'positive' friend and have a laugh.

5. Write, draw, paint or do something creative that you enjoy.
This will take your mind off things for a while and you'll have something to show for it at the end.

6. Help someone out.
Whether you buy a cup of coffee for a homeless person or give an old item of clothing to charity, you'll feel warm inside and it will also make you realize that there are plenty of people out there in worse situations than us (even though it may not feel like it at times)

I'm not medically qualified or anything, but this stuff has worked for me and If this help just one person out there then it has been worth the effort…

Take care

Ricci

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (68 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar