How Can I Help My Husband Understand My Depression?

By Matthew Schieltz — From ehow.com Published at September 7, 2011 Views 1,945 Comments 5 Likes 2

Depression affects more than 18 million adults in the United States each year, according to the Uplift Program. If you are suffering from depression, it probably isn't easy; and living with a family member who doesn't understand the disorder can be troubling. There are many resources, however, that can help shed light on depression and enable others to understand what you are going through.

Instructions:
1. Take your husband to your mental health counselor or psychologist so he can sit in on a one-on-one session. This will give a professional the chance to help explain some of the components of your depression, help your husband realize that you cannot just "snap out" of it, and allow him to better understand how depression occurs.

Read the full article at ehow.com Bullet-go

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Comments (5 comments)

Add your comment Reply Down
mrs.smith.40
mrs.smith.40 January 1, 2012 at 3:08 am
Edited January 1, 2012 at 3:11 am by mrs.smith.40

Thank you so much for this article, it took my getting a concussion Tuesday for my husband to take me to the er and i broke down and talked to a psyhchitrist, right in front of him, he is starting to get it now. His usual comment was "its all in your head, and get over it" Real nice from someone who has never had to deal with this. He is a positive person and the most patient person I know, but when it comes to this, he has no clue. My two boys better understand this than him. But they are 20 and 17, and I do not hide it from them. That is the worst thing a parent can do is lie to thier children. I love them so much and they are what keeps me alive in a world I feel I dont belong in, my own mother said it was a milestone for me to make it to 40. Thanks mom.
Huggles
Jackie

MelvinTopaz
MelvinTopaz December 8, 2011 at 12:20 am

If her husband was understanding then he would be open to going to a counselor or psychiatrist with her. The fact that he is NOT understanding and may feel that she is faking it or overreacting indicates that he probably will not go to a psychologist or psychiatrist. She's needs to be open to the possibility that he will refuse to go or he will not participate if he does go. Having dealt with psychological problems myself I must point out that most of the healing must come from yourself. It's very hard to understand why those who we love the most and who love us most find it hard to except our illness or help us deal with the problem.

LisaFL
LisaFL November 27, 2011 at 10:47 am

My husband, now EX was absolutely BRUTAL to me with my depression. He wanted me committed. He taunted me and blamed me and wanted me to end my life. He taught our sons to say to me "Just do it!." He taught our sons that I was at fault & that I needed to talk to my shrink cause they didn't want to hear it! He said he was going to tell every family member how insane I was and to stay away. The humiliation is something no one has ever been able to help me get over. People listen and turn away that is FACT. This humiliation continues to this day. When you reach out to supposed loved ones for help: you will be surprised at what they say…how hurtful they are.

Harlen
Harlen November 13, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Hello
He dosent need to understand He will love you bo matter what
from a mans way of seeing things we may never understand you but love you any way .
There will be time that are hard and times that will be fun
love covers both
Best wishes
Harlen

grandmaseven
grandmaseven September 29, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Good luck with your husband understanding. This is something probably pretty much out of anybodys or anythings that will help. I am all for medication from a psychiatrist. My EX husband couldn't understand my depression because I had nothing to be depressed about, which was pretty much true, but I have a chemical depression that requires constant meds. My EX wouldn't even go with me to the psychiatrist so he could maybe learn something, he was just a hard head. I am glad he is an EX now! Hopefully it won't come to that for you, but if he doesn't care enought about you to learn what is going on with you, then what does he care about? Sounds like just himself. Just my penny thought.l

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar