Hi Robert,

Nice to meet you. Glad you checked in.

I think that parents learn to have a perspective on the minor injuries and falls that children have. These are part of growing up, young children are learning physical coordination, and kids also can play rough. Parents learn to check their kids injuries to decide whether they need medical attention or not, and then to react accordingly. It's not easy to be a parent, and it can be very upsetting for parents to see their children injured and in pain.

My clients often say to me, you must get tired of hearing about my petty problems, when there are so many horrible things going on in the world. They tell me that their problems must seem so trivial in comparison. I tell my clients that their problems are their problems, and we are working together to help them to have a better life.

I do see your point, but I also think that when a child is suffering, whether from a bump from a fall, or a serious illness, or a lack of food and shelter, they need the love and support of a caring adult. To your point, some children receive this attention, but all too many do not.

If your wife is concerned about your reaction when your children have a minor injury, then that is something for the two of you to discuss and work together on how you want to handle these situations.

If you are concerned that your medication may be impacting your reactions in these situations, then that is definitely something to talk to your doctor about. For example, if you feel your reactions are blunted in any way, or that you are thinking yourself out of feeling, then that is also an important conversation to have with your doctor. That wasn't clear in your question, but I am mentioning it just in case.

I do encourage all parents to be fully present with their children, to be involved, to show kindness and compassion, while helping them to learn how to cope effectively with the bumps and bruises that life throws in our direction. If you're feeling like you could use some help with that, talking to a therapist would also be a good idea.

Nice to hear from you. And take good care of yourself!


Answered By Answered by Dr GaryCA
  • Report Report as inappropriate
  • Share
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Comments (No comments)

Add your comment Reply Down
Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar